Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limping - time to see the vet? (Video included)

Post Thanks / Like

To help fill him up, you can also add fresh vegetables or fruit to his bowl or use as treats. My vet had suggested green beans when I needed to get Sydney to lose weight. Now I add some to BellaMia's food to keep from overfeeding.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Not to make light of this situation, but he walks like I do when I first get up. OTOH, I'm 66 and probably 25 pounds overweight.

Good luck. Your dog looks just like my "Charlie".
    Tim

"May you live as long as you want, and may you not want as long as you live"....an Irish Blessing

Post Thanks / Like

Your joke made me "lol" Tim!

Anyway, here's another update -- I talked to our vet yesterday after he had heard back from the surgeon who reviewed Skippy's x-rays. The surgeon felt that based on the x-rays and Skippy's current behavior, that we should dry managing his condition with meds and exercise first, and see if that helps any.

Our vet gave me a week's worth of Tramadol, and we've also cut down on Skippy's food and are trying to give him a little more exercise to get his weight down. I asked about supplements and he recommended Nutramax' Dasuquin.

Hopefully we'll see some improvement in Skippy's lameness over the next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope Skippy is doing well. My Leo is also a "Bigger than average" cavalier. He weighed 13.5kg at one point but Ive got his weight down to 10kg now. Exercise was a big part but I stopped feeding him the doggie treats and substituted them for rice cakes/veg sticks which he loves just as much. it was a slow process but worth it....keep at it and good luck.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandelos View Post

I asked about supplements and he recommended Nutramax' Dasuquin.

Hopefully we'll see some improvement in Skippy's lameness over the next week or so.
    Bosco is also on Dasuquin (1/2 tablet per day), and some chinese herbs. It has worked wonders for him. Hopefully, it will help Skippy as well.