• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Board problems yesterday and today (and in past)

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all --

We are properly back online again after some problems that occurred to the database during an update at my hosting service that seemed to overlap with the point where I was doing some work on the board. I know many of you were probably having difficulties viewing the site or logging on, or finding you logged on only to find you could not post or see your own account details.

They found a corruption in the database and restored the board from a backup taken yesterday in the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately that meant we lost yesterday's posts and I am very sorry for that inconvenience to all of you who had made posts during the day. However the alternative was restoring from a far older save of the database I'd made weeks back so I was thrilled to find they had one taken from yesterday at 4am!!

The other good news is that they were improving the server that is used by the board and acknowledged they have had some problems with it. It seems to be loading much faster and I am hoping... fingers and paws crossed!... that the various issues people had mentioned to me (and which I myself have experienced) will now be resolved.

I am always considering a shift in board software, and have a product I will likely to move to in the future but not quite yet as it doesn't have a few features I'd like to see and which are likely to come before too long.

Anyway I hope everyone's back online and getting a better experience with the board after the hosting service upgrade.

Thanks Karlin, Im glad you told us all new posts have disappeared as I posted yesterday and when I couldn't find it I thought I was going mad ......:fool: My enter key still doesn't work so I still cant start a new paragraph though !

And I thought I was going mad too when I couldn't log on and just getting database disconnect messages on some browsers. It took me a while to figure out what exactly the problem was.

The board is definitely much much faster now so I think remaining problems are with the software...

Ok I believe the issue is your browser -- are you using Internet Explorer 10? It isn't compatible with this version of the board but I can download a fix and will do so later this eve,

Thanks Karlin, I'm using IE 10, so would appreciate a fix. The board is, however moving much faster. Your hard work is appreciated.

I'll get to it shortly. I can't take credit for the better board performance :) as they were planning to upgrade the software on the hosting site anyway -- I am just annoyed it was left so long without acknowledging there was a known problem, making me think it was always the board software alone. :sl*p: They're a good hosting company generally, though!

Sorry for the board down time this evening but I was installing the version of the board that eliminates the IE 10 problem with the return key, and also doing some other housekeeping.

I have also set up the board to work with Forum Runner, another app that enables you to run CavTalk on your phone or tablet. I'll post some more info on that later.

Let me know if the IE 10 issue has stopped, those of you who couldn't use the return/enter key...

Still no working enter key here Im afraid....hey ho....at least the board is much faster and I still enjoy visiting you all :)

You might try clearing the browser cache and then see if it works? I would guess one way or another it is a browser issue. If you wanted to test and see you could try using Firefox or Chrome and see if you still have the problem. Microsoft is notorious for changing things in browser releases that make the new version incompatible with many existing websites, in one small way or another... :sl*p: Usually it causes small display glitches.

That issue is supposed to have been fixed in this release of the board software, but if still a problem then it is a matter of waiting for further releases that will undoubtedly address it more thoroughly. :(

I had to clear the browser cache due to a different internet problem. So seeing if it works now......:( still no. Guess will have to wait for the next internet explorer fix. As long as I can still get on CT I'm OK with it!

Oh darn. I'll see if I can find any other suggestions but seems the issue is only for people with IE 10 then...?

Oh darn. I'll see if I can find any other suggestions but seems the issue is only for people with IE 10 then...?
I have IE 10 it will be interesting to see if its just those of us that have that. As we've all said we appreciate all the hard work Karlin.........I do like my daily fix of CT :)

I did find a discussion on this where someone offers a bit of code that can be added in so I might try that...

Back