• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pyometra Experience

pcfarrar

Towards the middle of last week we noticed something wasn't quite right with our 5 year old Rosie. She started to go off her food, and became quite lethargic, we also noticed her rear knee caps were slightly swollen and she started to have trouble climbing stairs. She would still eat chicken and other tasty treats but would not touch her regular food. Her season had finished 2 weeks ago (she was going to be spayed in April but we had family problems so had her booked in for November). We took her to the vet on Friday and they gave her antibiotics/metacam and booked her in for a spay a week later. The vet mentioned it was possibly pyometra but didn't seem concerned. :?

On the Saturday she developed a light brown discharge from her vulva and became even more lethargic, we phoned the vets late Saturday night and were told to bring Rosie into the vets the following morning. On Sunday morning the vet performed an emergency spay and stated that it was extremely large and full of pus. Rosie came home the same day, and spent the rest of the day sleeping but did manage to eat some food.

The next morning Rosie was 95% better, the difference was incredible. The biggest problem has been stopping her from running and jumping. :)

You are very lucky that you were so aware and contacted your vet so quickly (but to be honest, I am surprised they didn't have you take her to emergency rather than wait overnight -- many dogs do not survive pyometra and getting immediate treatment can mean the difference between life and death).

http://www.universityvet.com/resource/pyometra-dogs

On the other hand perhaps they decided this was still open-cervix pyometra so there was lower risk in waiting a day.

But you also say:

The vet mentioned it was possibly pyometra but didn't seem concerned.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm afraid I would be changing vets right away over this episode -- this seems utterly extraordinary that they were so indifferent!!!! I've never ever heard of a vets taking such a lackadaisical approach with an infection that can easily kill a dog (survival rate once it worsens is as low as 25%). :(

Cavaliers have a far higher rate of pyometra than most breeds -- up around 40% for unspayed females according to a Swedish study (spayed females will not get it).

I'm so glad she is home and comfortable! :)

Thank you for sharing your story - like Karlin, I'm truly shocked at your vet's attitude. Pyometra is one of the true veterinary emergencies, and you are very fortunate that Rosie has survived this experience. We wish her a good recovery.

Back