• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blood work

anniemac

I am taking Elton to the vet because I got a reminder that he is due for blood work. It seems like he had it done recently but maybe they need it when it is not a sick visit. Besides being aware of the platelets, is there anything else one should know?

Thanks

I've never heard of a reminder for routine blood chem for a 5 year old, esp. if this was done "recently." What is the reason to do this? Was the last blood chem profile abnormal?

Pat (making sure you spend your money wisely!)

More questions: What do they charge, and what all is covered by the test? Inhouse or do they send it to an outside lab? Do they charge an office visit on top of the charge for the blood chem?

I've never heard of a reminder for routine blood chem for a 5 year old, esp. if this was done "recently." What is the reason to do this? Was the last blood chem profile abnormal?

Pat (making sure you spend your money wisely!)

More questions: What do they charge, and what all is covered by the test? Inhouse or do they send it to an outside lab? Do they charge an office visit on top of the charge for the blood chem?

I asked the same thing about it being done recently. It has been a year so I think I'm thinking of fecal examination. The vet wanted to check his heart again before I take him to NC State (no charge) to see if murmur was still there (which it was). he was also due for bordetlla (he goes to day care).

I can only answer part of your questions because I got this after his exam. They do not charge for an office visit but that could be in cost of blood work but it wasn't on the bill. They send it to an outside lab and said it was $73 for a idexx young canine maintenance basic. I mentioned the platelets which he was familiar with and said there is a DNA test but not something to do with this breed for no reason.

I was wrong about recently but in general would you or others suggest getting blood work done (I'm not sure to request anything special if he doesn't take medication and nothing has been abnormal) once a year? I know more frequent if on certain medications.

Back