Thread: Kong filler and puppies?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kong filler and puppies?

Hi - I am sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I saw many posts for kong fillers for full grown cavs but wondered what was safe for puppies? I will be bringing home my 10 week old next week and would love to be able to fill his kong with peanut butter or cream cheese but wanted to know everyone's thoughts for a puppy that young.

Thanks in advance,
    Pam (and Maxwell)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Peanut butter and cream cheese are both very high in fat and short so should only be used in moderation for adults and puppies.

There are lots of good idea for filling a Kong in Rupert 's fund recipe book, you can get it here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...pe-book-ORDERS!!
    You can use one to give all puppy 's meals - dry or raw. Do also have a look at Ian Dunbar 's puppy books (free to download)
    www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads.puppies
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Will do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that many cavalier's, especially pups, have sensitive tummies. I would check with the breeder to see what the puppy has been eating and start with that. If you decide to change the food, gradually introduce it. Once the pup has a diet that agrees with him/her, only then would I even start to introduce new foods, including snacks/treats.

Maxwell is adorable! Best of luck with him.

Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice Joan. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a dry dog food that you are feeding,,, you can fill it with that. I fill Sophie's Kong toy with dry kibble, and add one of the Kong biscuits as a "stopper" http://www.kongcompany.com/products/...-liver-snacks/ so the kibble doesn't fall out. Somehow, she gets it all out while the 'stopper' is still in there. Gives her a challenge and she loves it.

Post Thanks / Like

I feed Lady's kibble in the kong wobbler every morning. Also, northern biscuits fit perfectly snug into the regular kong without making a mess like peanut butter does. http://www.northernbiscuit.ca/ I usually break them in half and put half in each girl's kong before I head to work.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate the advice everyone. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

you can put in canned pumpkin or sweet potatoe and freeze it. high in fiber, low in calories, and easy on the tummy.

karven Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Momofmax View Post
    Hi - I am sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I saw many posts for kong fillers for full grown cavs but wondered what was safe for puppies? I will be bringing home my 10 week old next week and would love to be able to fill his kong with peanut butter or cream cheese but wanted to know everyone's thoughts for a puppy that young.

Thanks in advance,
    Pam (and Maxwell)
    Yes, my dog also loves to eat, and in particular love bite, I bought it some toys at toyswill.com, of exceptionally good quality, see I bought it new toys.www.toyswill.com/angry-birds-plush-toys-100cm-jumbo-red-bird-40in-p-25.html