• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

USDA cracks down on internet pet sales

I wish that cracking down on Internet pet sales was all that Obama has done here. Unfortunately, this is a step toward the animal-rights agenda of destroying purebred breeding by hobby breeders, as well. This change in an existing USDA rule will require every hobby cavalier breeder with four or more intact female animals (not just cavalier breeding bitches) to either obtain a USDA license and build a kennel which meets USDA's specifications, or never ever sell a puppy to anyone who does not show up at the breeder's doorstep to pick up that puppy.

No longer may these hobby breeders whelp and raised their cavalier puppies in their homes. The only ways to avoid this rule is either to never own more than four intact females (including any co-ownerships), or never sell a puppy to anyone who does not come to the house to pick up the puppy.

Most of the cavaliers my family has acquired over the past 40+ years have been shipped to us by the breeders via reliable passenger aircraft. Our breeders of these dogs are among the very best in the USA (IMHO), and they usually own or co-own more than four intact females. No longer may this type of transaction be possible with these breeders, unless they permanently cut back to owning and co-owning fewer than five intact females at any time, or they build their own USDA-approved kennel and get licensed with this federal bureaucracy and be subject to USDA's stormtrooper inspections. (See, e.g., Obama's EPA stormtroopers who just last week "surged out of the wilderness ... wearing body armor and jackets emblazoned with POLICE in big, bold letters" to test water quality at a gold mine in Alaska. -- http://www.alaskadispatch.com/artic...-chicken-cry-foul-over-heavy-handed-epa-raids).

Last edited:
I can only comment on the UK but here the problem is always the possibility that a few 'good breeders' will be affected by rules designed to clamp down on the callous breeders that do not care about the welfare of their dogs. The attempts to tighten up the rules always get shouted down by those 'good breeders' who object to being regulated in any way and so nothing ever improves for the battery bred dogs.

I would think that anything that stops the wholesale cruelty of puppy farming and careless internet sales of living animals would be worth supporting even if it inconvenienced some hobby breeders.

I can only comment on the UK but here the problem is always the possibility that a few 'good breeders' will be affected by rules designed to clamp down on the callous breeders that do not care about the welfare of their dogs. The attempts to tighten up the rules always get shouted down by those 'good breeders' who object to being regulated in any way and so nothing ever improves for the battery bred dogs.

I would think that anything that stops the wholesale cruelty of puppy farming and careless internet sales of living animals would be worth supporting even if it inconvenienced some hobby breeders.

It just wasn't necessary to inconvenience the hobby breeders like that, and we are not talking about just a few. Several alternatives were proposed to USDA that would have focused on the perpetrators and not stifled the hobby breeders, but USDA, being controlled by the anti-breeders, purposefully ignored those choices. It is a reflection of the overall philosophy of this federal government administration.

Back