• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Size of a Cavalier

Winnie

Hello,

Our family is considering a puppy from a litter that have a Sire that is on the larger size. He weighs over 22lbs. I believe the mom is around 18 lbs. They come from a very reputable breeder but because we travel a lot by plane and wish to take our Cavalier in the cabin with us we were hoping for a one that is under 20 lbs. What would be the likelihood of getting one that is under 18 lbs. from this litter? My common sense says the bigger the parents the bigger the puppy but wasn't sure if this was the case. Thanks for your help!

Puppy will most likely be the size of the parents. However, genetics are weird and cavaliers are a breed that doesn't always breed true. I have seen extra small dogs come from average parents and large dog come from small parents. Sometimes looking at the grandparents will give you a better idea. I have a big boy (he is 23 lbs) that came from average parents (15-18 lbs).

Breeder Laura Lang says the best guide is an average of grandparents and parents, on both sides. But size can really vary. In general from what I have seen and also heard breeders say, most show dogs and breeding dogs are no longer down at the lower end of the breed standard, especially not males (many feel this is simply too small a dog).

I think there is actually a good argument to increase the breed standard weights as all the show breeding males I have ever met are at the very top or over the breed standard. There are genetic health arguments for a larger cavalier, too, I think. :) But I would guess you would probably not get an adult dog under 18lbs with the size of those parents, though it is possible.

I have a big boy (he is 23 lbs) that came from average parents (15-18 lbs) too!

I can tell you that from the beginning he had big feet and frame, and we knew he was going to be a little bigger than expected. I will say that even at 23 lbs, he is easily transportable and go lots of places with us.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your help. We decided to go with a litter with smaller parents to be safe. Mom is 16lbs. Dad is 18lbs. Hopefully he won't surprise us!

Lady's sire was about 25lbs and the dam 17lbs, Lady is the runt of the litter and she has plateaued at a healthy weight of 7.3kg.

Back