• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crate size recommendation

Winnie

Hello,

We will be bringing a puppy home in a week and was wondering what size crate we should get. We were looking at ones with a divider. I saw that some people recommend a 24"L and some 30"L.

I had a very hard time deciding on what size crate to buy before I got Fletcher. I ended up getting a 30"L and 19"W. It is perfect size for a full grown cavalier (Fletcher is about 20 lbs). I was worried that the crate would be too big for a puppy however I never used the divider and never had an issue. I just used old towels or blankets as bedding at first. Also I VERY worthy purchase was a crate water bowl, one that attaches to the crate itself, puppies seem to knock over water bowls a lot.

I have the 30" and will sometimes put both girls in it together for shorter periods of time (an hour to two max). Lady is 16lbs and Gracie is 13lbs.

I use a 24", as that is what my breeder told me to get. Luke is 12.5 at the shoulder, and 14.5 lbs, so it fits well

I use a 30" x 19" which I have had since my youngest was 8 weeks old, he is now about 20 lbs and still uses it daily. As Melissa has said a clip on water bowl is a very good idea even when older.

Back