• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

all life stages food?

emmaK11

Hi all,
We have two cavaliers and a rescue. Our one cavalier and our rescue are both 2 1/2 yrs and the puppy is 18 weeks. I know a lot of you suggest switching over to an adult food right away and skipping puppy food altogether, but i wanted to clarify whether you guys get all life stages formula or just an adult formula? And what do you suggest feeding? We're on Nutro Natural Choice right now (puppy for the baby and small breed for Emma) and then Merrick's whole earth farms for our rescue.They all love their foods, but I'd like to feed all my dogs the same thing if possible since they're all on different formulas and it would be easier on us. What would be a good food that all of them can eat, but won't make my two grown-ups fat and my little one lacking nutrients? Thanks!

You can definitely feed dogs those ages the same thing. For that matter I don't believe in senior foods or diet foods either... all mine get the same foods :). And you'd get 40 replies on what is 'best' to feed! :lol: Personally, I think feeding only dry food is at best, a pretty bland option for any dog but likely also to be a poor health option as well. I feed a mix of raw diet, some dry kibble, some prepared wet food, most of the time. I think any dry food pales against a good prepared raw or well balanced home cooked diet. But dry is easier and is better than serving an unbalanced home or raw diet, of course. At the very least I'd advocate a quality kibble (and people will argue for hours over what is best or better) mixed at least a few times a week with (dog-safe) real foods of some sort. :)

For health reasons, I'd prefer an all raw diet for my gang most of the time/all the time but don't tend to get around to it.

Setting aside the fact that no one would want to live on Wheaties all their life even if it is fortified with all the nutrition someone needs, there's extremely strong evidence now that animal as well as human health, and disease prevention, is closely connected to a healthy range of gut bacteria -- and the more varied and *fresh* the diet, the better and wider the variety of good gut bacteria. Processed foods -- and kibble is a processed food -- is the poorest of all diets for gut bacteria to thrive, and is not recommended for people, so cannot be the best option for dogs or cats, either.

It's very easy to at least boost a dry food diet with regular healthy fresh food additions. :D

Back