• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone else's SM baby suffer with leg/mobility pain?

Dooley

Hiya,

Dooley was diagnosed (via MRI) scan after suffering with pain in his legs. He doesn't air scratch but he does shake his head continuously when having an episode & usually an extra Gabapentin helps to ease the pain.

However after 3 years on Gabapentin, Dooley for the first time since being diagnosed is suffering with his mobility & it's like we are back to square one :(We are off to the vets in a bit but does anyone else have experience on this & any advice? I've read about the treatment plan by Clare Rusbridge and it looks like we have lots of options at the moment.

It breaks my heart to see him in so much pain & I need to try my hardest not to turn into a blubbering mess at the vets :( I just want my happy boy back <3 xxx

I'm so sorry about Dooley. Don't you just hate SM? Mobility has always been one of Riley's primary problems with SM. Sometimes she can hardly walk and will just fall on all fours, sometimes she needs the stability of a wall to hold her up, sometimes she'll be sitting and her front legs will collapse. She can't jump so we have stairs for all the sofas, chairs and beds. Sometimes, just the one step up into the house (we live in a ranch) seems like the biggest hurdle for her. But, she soldiers on with the help of daily prednisone. For her that's the only med that made a difference. Without it, she could not walk. She has definitely suffered some side effects from being on it for five years, but her quality of life is so much better on it than off. I hope you can find the right meds for Dooley. Mobility seems to be a fairly common problem for a number of SM dogs.

You do still have some treatment options if Dooley is still only on gabapentin, so I hope your vet can help him. My Oliver is getting very wobbly but I'm not sure whether it's his SM, old age (he's 12) or his osteo-arthritis in his spine. Going for a walk helps him to get steady. If you don't already have steps, they really help, though I often help Oliver up and down otherwise he misses his footing and falls in a heap. Hyperdrug do good ones.

I'm not sure how far this wobbliness is painful - or whether it is just nerve damage that means they can't control their limbs. I have something similar in my feet because the nerves don't reach them and my balance is dreadful and I'm prone to fall over - I take gabapentin for it!

ate, Oliver and Aled

I'm so sorry about Dooley. Don't you just hate SM? Mobility has always been one of Riley's primary problems with SM. Sometimes she can hardly walk and will just fall on all fours, sometimes she needs the stability of a wall to hold her up, sometimes she'll be sitting and her front legs will collapse. She can't jump so we have stairs for all the sofas, chairs and beds. Sometimes, just the one step up into the house (we live in a ranch) seems like the biggest hurdle for her. But, she soldiers on with the help of daily prednisone. For her that's the only med that made a difference. Without it, she could not walk. She has definitely suffered some side effects from being on it for five years, but her quality of life is so much better on it than off. I hope you can find the right meds for Dooley. Mobility seems to be a fairly common problem for a number of SM dogs.

SM is awful & it sounds like Riley has been through the mill too :( My vet is thinking another scan on Dooley would be helpful and in the meantime he's given us Rimadyl to see if that helps with Dooleys pain and he's increased dooleys Gabapentin to 4x100ml a day. It seems to have helped a little as Dooley is now walking around more but he still isn't right. I'm hoping the Rimadyl will kick in after a few doses (he's only had one so far). He seems to be dithering though - like people do when they are cold.

Thank you Kate H, awww bless Oliver xx I think I will have to stop Dooley from coming up the stairs eventually as it seems like he will suffer with his mobility from his SM :( Steps are a good idea though to help him in & out of the house xx

Back