• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Cavalier Owners!

Virginia

My husband and I adopted two female cavaliers that are 16 months old. We adopted directly from the owners who were divorcing and new living arrangements did not allow for pets. These two girls have been together since they were puppies (they came from the same breeder but have different parents) This is our first time to adopt and in the past we have had Springer Spaniels. We ADORE these two and they seem to be adapting well to their new home (with the exception of housebreaking!)

I have read about all of the health issues that this breed can have and I want to make sure I do everything right to hopefully ensure they will live long happy lives!

Right now my biggest concern is that one of the girls seems to suddenly have a thin dull coat. I pulled up some photos of her when we got her (two months ago) and she was fluffier and her brown coloring was more vibrant. I plan on taking her to the vet this week but wanted to ask the group if this is something that is typical to cavaliers!

I am also interested to know the right foods. Currently they eat Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream - thats what our Springer ate and it helped her with itchiness.

Any and all advice is appreciated

Virginia

Welcome to the world of Cavaliers. It sounds like your two are lovely. Would love to see pictures.

Did the dogs move to Florida when you got them, or were they already there? A climate change can cause coat changes. I'd suggest you compare the ingredients of their old food with the TOTW and see what's different--that could account for coat changes. There are some products out there that say they encourage a thicker fuller coat but I've never used them. It's also possible your little one lost some coat due to the stress of rehoming and will grow it back later. Its a good idea to check with your vet as you are doing. Did you purchase health insurance? IMO, always a good thing with cavaliers.

Ditto to what Emkaybee said. It could be simply from the change in food or stress of moving.

Cavaliers are just so sweet I don't know how anyone could not be in love with the breed.

Back