• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How old are cavaliers before they get their full coat?

mason222

Mason is my first cavalier, he is almost 1.5 years old. He is pretty furry already, particularly his ears. Is this the furriest he is going to get? How old are cavaliers before their full coat comes in typically?

Fletcher is 19 months and he for sure has his FULL coat!!!! He's blemhiem and a fluff monster. I have to vacuum and steep EVERYDAY if not the tumbleweeds :v*cuum:

I don't mind at all he's worth every second of it.

Mason is pretty furry, as well, but I have seen some cavaliers that are crazy furry! I suppose it depends on their genetics. Time will tell!

Rose is 3 1/2 years and is finally getting a "full" coat and longer ears. She has minimal undercoat though, and sheds very little. Her littermate sister had a full coat, oh, about 2 years to 1 1/2 years ago. I think it just depends on the dog!

I agree, it depends on the dog. I don't recall when either of mine got their full coats, but suspect it was around 2.

Oh wow! I didn't expect it to be that long! I guess mason may have some time to get a little furrier, thanks everyone!

Really depends on the dog and many (most, really) cavaliers do not have heavy coats. I've only had one of five with what I'd call a medium heavy coat. Some dogs are heavy -- most often tris or B&Ts as black hair often seems to be thicker and heaver. Most B&Ts I have seen have far more coat than other colours.

My boys (the two I've had since under 1) had pretty much the coat they still have, by 18 months or so. But ears of course generally keep growing all the time.

Back