• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We had a bad hair day

Super Princess

It's Maggie's first birthday next week.
We are getting together with her sister Carly next week for photos.

Carly and Maggie have always looked identical in markings. Except Carly's always been very little. And Maggie is now a little overweight. Something I had been fearing. And we are working on. 2.5 pounds.

Anyways. So they look alike. We plan on doing pupcakes and birthday hats. We are both armature photographers.

Today I took her to the groomers to get a trim. Her feet needed done. Her mutton chops needed cut. She had a lot of fluff I wanted controlled and a small sanitary shave.

Anyways. She said she was gonna have to shave the ears. "She has too many matts," but I. Didn't think they were that bad. I occasionally cut out a Matt or two. But she did

I dropped her off. Our apt was at 4. They said she'd be ready by 7 !!!!!! My hair Doesn't even take that long. I guess they were running behind. I never woulda dropped her off on time if I knew they'd take that long

Anyways I called back quickly and asked them not to shave the ears.
They called back an hour later and said they had to. They had no choice. Under neat there were too many matts.
I started choking up on the phone and got off quickly. Bursting into tears.
Her ears were my favourite part of her looks. So curly and fluffy.
And now our photo shoot next week would be ruined.

Cried off and on until I picked her up.
She Doesn't look too bad. But I miss her fluffy cavalier ears. She has a beagle head now.

I know it could be worse. Oliver came home accident,y shaved once. Our groomer called mom in tears and said he looked like a potato. Lol
But today didn't pan out how I hoped.
It was a bad hair day.

http://maggies-world815.tumblr.com/post/62577458225/mama-took-me-to-get-a-trim-and-the-groomers

These pictures suck. I wasn't trying at all. Lol. Just some to show family I was crying to. But you can kinda get the picture.

Any typos or weird words I'm on the iPad. It autocorrects. Sorry. :)

I hope you didn't pay them and don't go back. Of course, she is still cute! :) But, they went against your instructions because they didn't want to take the time to remove the mats by hand. That's not the way to run a business.

Maggie is adorable! We have a trusted groomer who we have used for years with our poodle but the first time I let her groom Fletcher I still insisted of staying and standing next to the grooming table. I love that my groomer let me do that, but at the end of the day she wants to make me happy. I love Fletcher's slippered feet and feathery always wagging tail so I would be pissed in anyone touched those. I'm actually considering asking my groomer to cut his chest/under belly - cut not shave off use a 1.5 or 2 inch guard. Last week I took scissors to the back and underside of his ears, I used a human hairdresser technique where I cut straight into the hair to avoid making straight cuts, I trimmed it down because I'm tried of the mats that always seem to be there, you can't really tell and so far less mats. Eventually, I will come up with what works best grooming wise for me and Fletcher. Her ears will grow back in no time. Do the photo shoot anyway, but just make plans to do another in 6 months too :)

I don't blame you at all for being upset. They should have shared their thoughts and given you the option of de-matting her yourself - or with someone else. Your groomer has a very cavalier attitude toward clients, I'd leave and do an online review in an attempt to spare others. That may give her pause about disregarding client expectations. Having said that, she is still your little cavvie and looks cute. While I agree you should be angry - please give it perspective - it's not terminal and can grow back. I'd be very upbeat around her as I wouldn't want her to sense something is wrong - they're so smart. I love our groomer even more now! She operates a solo shop, very clean and allows an hour and forty-five meetings for Sam's monthly bath/groom. She is not accepting new clients as she insists on running her business - not having the business run her. Sam goes into her shop wagging her tail. Genuinely sorry about your groomer (???).

I'm Gonna see if Oliver's last groomer is stills round. She was pretty good. My breeder recommended a place too. Said the guy used to show cavaliers so he knows how to cut them properly.

I've definitely not let my emotions shown around Maggie. I'm much better today. What's done is done. She has been her happy self. (Oliver was mortified and so embarrassed when he got totally shaven. ) Maggie could care less. I took her to my parents and my mom, for the first time since Maggie was 12 weeks said she was so cute!!!! Moms always liked the shaved look (obviously kept Oliver short) but I think she was doing it to make me feel better lol.
And I would care so much less if it was after that photo shoot. I had all the details planned!!! I shoulda known !!!!

Me and my BFF have a rule. No hair cuts (for ourselves) before a big event (concert or something ) we have had some disasters in our day. I remember a concert. We were in jr high. Front row. I got my hair cut. Said 'I want it just past the shoulders" I guess that can go either way. I wanted it just longer then my shoulders. She cut nearly to my ears.
Next day was the concert. Me and my BFF. Sitting on the bathroom floor of our jr high trying g to make something look good lol.
It was horrible. :D

I did pay, they make you sign something before the cut. But I won't go back. And the teller told me to fill out an online survey lol. I could get $5 off my next cut for that;)
From behind her head looks shrunk from her body :( lol

I agree with what everyone else has said. She is still cute as a button. I too would also look for a new groomer seeing they disregarded your wishes. I also love the idea of giving an online review. I always check reviews before I frequent any business and I appreciate when other patrons take the time to review. I can't believe Maggie is already a year old. Time flies...

Bless her heart! I can tell from her photos that she feels .... naked. :shock: I always comb out any matting that Sophie has before she goes to the groomer. My groomer charges extra if a dog is badly matted, and I don't want to pay extra, or end up with beagle ears(a perfect description!) on Sophie. They will grow back but it will take time.

Still adorable! I am sure they will grow back pretty quickly. I brush mason almost everyday, but sometimes he still gets a matt underneath his ears or under his arms. If I am very careful and use a wide tooth comb, I can usually SLOWLY and gently get the matt out without cutting it. Maybe you could try that next time before they chop away? I try to do this when he is very sleepy haha

She is still sweetheart -- what a face! The ears will grow back in about a month, not to worry. I once took my Chin to a groomer, who cut her ears, after I specifically said to leave the ears and tail alone, so I know how you feel. She looked like a boy dog with those ears and I was so upset! Waah!

I got a bit smarter with Bosco. Wrote down what I wanted -- Do NOT touch ears, feet or tail! I also explained what happened with my Chin, and made sure we both understood each other. It all turned out well. Cav's ears mat so easily. I have been know to cut a mat out,and you can't even tell the difference! Fortunately, Bosco has long, thick ears and my "cuts" just sort of blend in.

That's how Maggie's ears were. They just blend. I'd see a mat and cut it out. They were so thick and curly you couldn't tell.
I felt really guilty the other day before her grooming. Took off her collar and noticed it was matted under there. So I snipped a bit of that out then gave her a good brush down. Not a place I even thought to check. .

Her sisters owner had to postpone the photo shoot, death in the family. So maybe we can wait till she grows a bit more fur.

I posted a pic on Facebook with her rock star hair. And her breeder (wonderful lady)told me to cut that off. Lol. Said she'd just cut the fluff off Maggie's moms head that day. But no wag. I love the rock star do.

I know. I can't believe how fast this year has gone. Seriously it's ridicules. Last year waiting for her arrival and pick up was the longest time of my life. It went sooooooo slow. But this , just crazy.

Don't Panic.......it will grow back! She still looks adorable. I remember Leo came back from the groomers once looking like a Marine :oops: They'd shaved round his ears and he'd moved.....he ended up with a buzz cut!

Back