Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: homemade raw recipes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post

We add supplements just before serving the meals, so that we can give each dog the supplements which it needs. They include bone meal for calcium for all of the dogs in every meal, which is essential to balance potassium in the meat,
    Added calcium is needed in home prepared diets (both raw and cooked) in order to balance with PHOSPHORUS, not potassium. If inadequate calcium is in the diet, the body will actually leach calcium from the bones which can have serious consequences. The ratio of calcium to phosphorus in a dog's diet is really important.

The reason that I know about this is because of preparing home cooked diets for dogs in kidney failure. A diet for a "normal" dog is very different from a diet for a dog with kidney disease. (I have a 16 year old who has had kidney disease for over 3 years. She is doing very well, and a home prepared diet is a key factor. Limiting phosphorus and balancing calcium/phosphorus are key components of a kidney diet. I use calcium carbonate rather than bone meal because bone meal contains phosphorus and calcium carbonate is a pure form of calcium.)

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Added calcium is needed in home prepared diets (both raw and cooked) in order to balance with PHOSPHORUS, not potassium. If inadequate calcium is in the diet, the body will actually leach calcium from the bones which can have serious consequences. The ratio of calcium to phosphorus in a dog's diet is really important. ...
    Correct, I got my "p"s mixed up. I will correct that entry.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like it would be best to see a veterinarian who is knowledgable in this before venturing to do it on my own. I have added green beans and a little plain nonfat yogurt to their food, sometimes a teaspoon of organic pumpkin but nothing other than that. Do you guys do any of these things? How much of the green beans do you give a day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmaK11 View Post
    sounds like it would be best to see a veterinarian who is knowledgable in this before venturing to do it on my own. I have added green beans and a little plain nonfat yogurt to their food, sometimes a teaspoon of organic pumpkin but nothing other than that. Do you guys do any of these things? How much of the green beans do you give a day?
    A potential problem with adding this or that to a commercial dog food is that you would be interfering with an already-balanced diet. For example, our holistic vet thinks a diet with 60% protein is about right. If you have a 60% protein commercial diet and add some pumpkin or yogurt, you are either reducing or increasing the protein percentage.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

So do you suggest either going completely commercial or completely balanced homemade? instead of trying to do some of both? I like to add yogurt and fish oil to their diets because i feel the problem with "balanced" commercial brands is that the longer they sit on the shelves the less potent their nutrients are. In my area there is actually a local place that makes their own dog food fresh every month locally, balanced, and everything and very popular in our area. It stands up against the "best" commercial stuff and is freshly delivered to your door. My boyfriends rescue has horrible skin allergies and he does really well on one of their lamb formulas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmaK11 View Post
    So do you suggest either going completely commercial or completely balanced homemade? instead of trying to do some of both? I like to add yogurt and fish oil to their diets because i feel the problem with "balanced" commercial brands is that the longer they sit on the shelves the less potent their nutrients are. In my area there is actually a local place that makes their own dog food fresh every month locally, balanced, and everything and very popular in our area. It stands up against the "best" commercial stuff and is freshly delivered to your door. My boyfriends rescue has horrible skin allergies and he does really well on one of their lamb formulas.
    If we (my bride and I) were not willing to spend a lot of time researching and gathering and preparing home-made meals for our dogs, I am sure we would be feeding a high-quality canned dog food and not add anything that would offset the "balance" of the recipe. That said, however, we would (and do) add supplements that we believe improve the survivability of our dogs, based upon the breed's known most severe heredity health issues. For example, I would add heart supplements and vitamins and antioxidants and the like. I just would not try to un-balance the canned food's ratio of protein, vegetables, and calcium.
    Rod Russell