• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Maisie does not like Clyde

Maisie is 7 years old and Clyde is 13 weeks old. Maisie has not taken to Clyde at all. Granted, he can be an annoying little brother at times but even when he just wants to play or be near her, she sulks and jumps up onto the nearest couch to get away from him. She used to not even want to be in the same room as him but now she will come in but still stay a good distance away from him and refuses to interact.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Maisie is 7 years old and Clyde is 13 weeks old. Maisie has not taken to Clyde at all. Granted, he can be an annoying little brother at times but even when he just wants to play or be near her, she sulks and jumps up onto the nearest couch to get away from him. She used to not even want to be in the same room as him but now she will come in but still stay a good distance away from him and refuses to interact.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I think you need to give the problem a couple of things:

The first is a play pen for Clyde so that you can put him in it to play there with some toys whenever Maisie has really had enough of baby brother's not too tender affections.

Secondly, I would give it time. A possible 5 weeks together is a very short time in the great scheme of things. Some older dogs take longer to bond with new puppies than others. Maisie will also need to firmly lay down the rules of what is and is not allowed for Clyde, which should happen naturally while you keep a careful eye on them to make sure no blood is drawn on either side.

It really does take time. At least Maisie is not growling at Clyde, as my Chin did when I brought Bosco home. I remember thinking that things were never going to work out, but eventually they all made peace.

I know we all want the older dog to be as excited about the puppy as we are, and when it doesn't happen as we thought, it is certainly disappointing and worrisome.

I will say that Sadie, my smaller chin, would not look at Bosco for months. However, after quite a bit of time, I found them sleeping on the same bed, right next to each other. Sadie will rarely play with him, I think she finds him big and awkward, but every now and then they interact.

Bosco has become very good friends with Boop (my other chin), and they interact all the time. It took Boop well over a month to stop growling at him though.

I'll add that Boop and Sadie were together since they were 6 months and always got along beautifully from the moment they met. They were both about 5 years when Bosco arrived. Bosco has been with us for two years. I never anticipated that their reaction would be anything but pleased when Bosco came -- and it wasnt', so I have a good idea of what you are going through. Sorry this is so long, but it really does work out over time.

Joan

I second giving it time! It took Gracie at least a month to get accustomed to being in a new home as well as getting used to rowdy Lady (Gracie was 3 and Lady was 6 months when I got Gracie). Now they are the best of friends and play together often.

Agree with all the points expressed by others above. :)

And would add -- many older dogs do not care for puppies and may not ever be very friendly with them but will become good friends when the puppy is closer to adulthood and more settled. Occasionally a dog just isn't that interested in a companion at all and this cannot be forced -- but in almost all cases, they will become companions eventually. :)

We have two large-breed puppies and none of my older cavaliers (aged 8 thru 10) has any affection for them :lol: but they are all friendly at least, now.

Agree with all the points expressed by others above. :)

And would add -- many older dogs do not care for puppies and may not ever be very friendly with them but will become good friends when the puppy is closer to adulthood and more settled.

Found this to be very true. My chins were not accepting of Bosco as a puppy, but have been very accepting of other small dogs who came to stay with us when their owners were away. This puzzled me at first, but I realized that these dogs were "adults" and not a puppy.

I kept a puppy, around 6-7 months old for someone for about 2 weeks over the summer. Luke is really not a big fan of young pups, and will just tell them off for nothing other than they're being a puppy. He's never aggressive, he just tells them off a bit. He wasn't thrilled with the puppy, but put up with it. When he got tired of the puppy, he walked off. The puppy often followed him around when he walked away, so at that point I took the puppy away and put him in his crate, or took him somewhere else to play. I never let him bother Luke or follow him when he tried to get away. I'm sure if this were a puppy I was actually keeping, Luke would appreciate him more as he grew up and calmed down.

Back