• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My first time here

Bentley and Me

Hello all. I just welcomed Bentley, a six month old Blenheim male into our home. We have one other pet, Shamus a yellow naped amazon parrot.i have been looking at pictures of cavaliers for several years. When the subject of getting a small dog came up I forgot about the Cavaliers. We went to shelters to rescue a dog but all we could find were pits, pit mixes and chihuahuas. i knew these dogs were not what i wanted. Then I remembered the Cavaliers. I talked to several breeders and one local breeder knew another breeder who had a six month old pup they were thinking of keeping. Well, when we saw Bentley who could resist? Simply adorable.He was raised mostly in a kennel with short visits in their home and not house broken. Luckily i am retired and diligent about taking him outside. He has NOT had one accident these three days. He had never been crated at night but he accepted it that first night and has slept in it right next to me with no whining. amazing.other than sleeping he has been with me every second these three days while we bond. What a wonderful puppy. A true velcro dog. Even though you read about all the great attributes of this breed nothing seems to describe the temperment. truly a love bug.

Last edited:
Welcome! You will find lots of great info about Cavs on this forum. Bentley sounds like he is off to a great start and yes, Cavs stick like glue -- just be sure not to trip over him.

I have two female Japanese Chin and 1 male CKC - Bosco - who is 2 years old. Bosco makes me smile and laugh everyday, and is such a loving boy. Came home last night to find a box of tissues scattered all over my foyer. I know who the culprit is, but he wagged his tail and was so darn happy to see me -- all was forgiven! That's what those big brown eyes and wagging tail get -- instant forgiveness.

Welcome! Like you, I am also retired and have lots of fun with my black and tan girl (Sam). The wife will be out of town visiting her sister through the weekend so I don't have to share her. They are an amazing breed and so much fun, always ready to nap with you and go for a walk (although mine hates the rain - but, so do I). If I recall correctly, someone on here also has a "Bently." Again, you will enjoy the information on this site.

LOL. The newbie period is over

Bentley is now feeling alot more at home now and not so scared and cautious. found my shoe in his mouth just now and he raided the kitchen trash for the 4th time this morning, time to move it i guess. Also hopped up on the couch to chew up a much coveted throw i bought at Walt disney World with my granddaughter. Honeymoon is quickly over it appears. he has a toybox (big plastic dishpan) with his toys and balls in it but shoes apparently are more fun to chew. LOL.

Its day 4 and still accident free in the house. I am not sure if its me or him who is being house broken but its working.

Hello and welcome! Our first cav came from a breeder near Redding, can't remember the kennel but the breeders name is Bob Amador. Anyways, may I suggest try training your cav being crated, then put the toys you want him to chew with him inside the crate. Hopefully by doing this he'll get familiar with the things he is allowed to chew. Also don't give him too much freedom yet. He needs to know your rules first. Train the dog and train yourself. Just my 2 cents.

Good advice about not giving too much freedom yet. You don't want him getting in trouble because he chewed something really special or soiled where he shouldn't have. The house-breaking sounds wonderful. Some dogs catch on really quick. My chins did, but not Bosco. Keep up the good work Bentley!

As for the chewing, just take away whatever he shouldn't be chewing and "trade it" for something that he is allowed to chew. I still say "drop it" and "leave it" alot, and Bosco is 2!

had a setback this morning. took a shower and put on some perfume. i swear bentley did not know it was me. He was and is still very unsure after 4 hrs. He slunked into my room and hid behind his crate. the other issue is that hubby is home from work first time since we got him and that has made him unsure. I guess the smell is stronger than the sight?

Back