• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

chewer

Bentley and Me

we have had bentley for one week now. he is 6-1/2 mos. old. i had no idea the hunting instincts were so strong in cavaliers. bentley is hunt driven, his nose is on the ground when he isnt sleeping.

he has kong and nylabone chewies which he loses interest in quickly. i am torn about the bone idea. i do not advicate rawhide or anything like that but Bentley needed something so i bought him a natural steamed bone to chew that wont splinter or swell up.

i gave it to him in the house tonight. he was absolutely thrilled, carried it around for an hr in his mouth like he couldnt believe his good fortune.

then disaster, he began digging at the carpet to bury it. i had to take it away to save the carpeting. i have had dogs before but the poodles did not chew much or bury their chewies. they acted more like cats i guess.

this is an eye opener for me. he is a great, really smart, affectionate puppy and it will take some time to get used to his behaviors. everything i read did not prepare me for a pup that acts like a miniature brittany spanial.

Your post made me smile. We often find Leo's chew bones buried down the back of the sofa! When he has a new one he takes it in the garden then returns with his face covered in soil.......a few days later the bone appears filthy dirty in the house. You get used to it :p

Because Cavaliers are small and pretty, it's easy to forget that they are spaniels - I have a friend who trained her Cavalier to work on a shoot. My Oliver's nose is always on the ground and he will chase squirrels, pheasants and rabbits. You can encourage Bentley to take his bones outside to bury (hopefully not in the middle of your best flowerbed) - and keep him on the lead on cliff tops that are populated by rabbits!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I took dog and bone outside this morning. At first he was only interested in fetching it back fo me. When he tired of that he sat whining at the door wanting to bring it back in the house. i think he had chosen his burial spot IN the house.

I am leavingg the bone outside for now, hoping he will play with it.

LOL. Another thing, we got one of those cat lazer light things. Lastnight dog had a good exercise chasing the red light out in the yard for a short period just like a cat.

Mason hides his bones. Not sure if anyone else's pup does this? It's pretty funny. I'll find bones in the sofa, under the fridge, behind the tv stand, in corners of rooms, in my shoes in the closet... I don't know who he thinks is going to get them, he is my only dog! ha.

Bently33330 said:
LOL. Another thing, we got one of those cat lazer light things. Lastnight dog had a good exercise chasing the red light out in the yard for a short period just like a cat.

Do not use laser lights. They can be extremely harmful to your dogs eyes if he looks directly at it. Also some dogs can get obsessed with the light and start chasing any type of light or shadows. Cavaliers are prone to OCD. This is not a good choice of entertainment for your dog.

Fletcher hides his toys, I think from Mr. Monster (my 5 year old) mostly. I don't give Fletcher antlers or bully sticks without supervision, they are both great chews BUT I still prefer to watch him with them. He does sometimes "dig" at the floor when he is excited tho. Its pretty funny because we don't have carpet, the lament flooring will live but its loud especially with the barking while playing. I recently bought him a dog treat puzzle thingy, he likes it.

Fletcher loves to chase squirrels. At my parent's house they have a little group of squirrels who run across the top of the fence....oh that REALLY gets him going:dogwlk:

Lady obsessively chases anything that moves - especially flies or falling leaves (which there are A LOT of right now). I can see how a lazer pointer could bring out OCD-like behaviour because I already find her quite ocd with chasing things. She has NO street-smarts and will try to jump into oncoming traffic to catch a leaf.

Deer antlers and bully sticks are really good chews but as Melissa said I only give them when supervising just in case a piece breaks off. Lady is a very heavy chewer. I also buy the "indestructable" nylabones and kongs which seem to last a while.

yes i have nylabones and kongs as well but bentley doesnt really like them. he picks them up. bites down then drops them. I have never actually owned a dog that liked nylabones. If they had a meat flavord one might have better luck.
i put a treat in the kong a few times but all he did was sniff out the treat and when that fell out lost immediate interest.

Back