• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone's cavvie making a baying sound similar to donkeys

Badge511

In the past year, on 3 separate occasions (last one occurring this morning) my 3.5 year old cavvie has made a sound best described as somewhat similar to a donkey baying. When this happens, she stands erect and makes the deep throaty sounds for 5-10 seconds. Afterwards, she simply resumes her activity and does not appear to be in respiratory distress at anytime. Prior to these events she was not engaged in any rigorous activity, nor just eaten. In fact, she was either walking with me or simply on leash standing in our front yard. I have checked a few cavvie reference books and found no mention of this. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks.

It sounds like "Reverse Sneeze" sometimes also called "Cavalier Snort". Some cavaliers do it more often that others. When it happens, you can gently tilt his head down while holding your fingers over his nostrals. It is a problem with an elongated soft palate. In most cases it is not serious, but if it happens very often it may need to be checked out. You can read about it here.

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm#Elongated_Soft_Palate

Joyce: Thank you so much for your assistance - I genuinely appreciate all the wonderful information you provided. I will discuss this with her vet. Makes me feel a lot better. Bob

Ahhh! Both my girls apparently "Reverse sneeze" and I never knew what it was!!! I am glad to now have an explanation and some suggestions to improve airflow when it happens. Thanks for this!

My Bentley makes a similar noise but only when excited. I've been saying he's hyperventilating. He almost can't get his breath. It happens sometimes when we first start on a walk, which he loves. It happens virtually every time the doorbell rings, when people come to visit, etc. It's always related to excitement. His groomer said it's reverse sneeze but I don't believe it.

Back