• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walk for Peggy Mangan and Casper, her loyal cavalier

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Many of you in Ireland will know of the recent deeply sad story of Peggy Mangan and her tricolour cavalier, Casper.

Peggy Mangan had Alzheimers but remained active at home with her family and her much loved cavalier Casper. Recently, she left the house as she often did to take Casper for a walk and never came home. A huge hunt was launched over Dublin. Tragically, she was found many miles from home in a open ground, several days later, where she had passed away. Next to her stood Casper, who never left her side.

Sadly, Casper then died only a couple of hours later. He has become a true symbol of the sweetness and loyalty of a cavalier.

Peggy Mangan's family have launched a new foundation to raise funds for, and awareness about, Alzheimers, missing persons, and the loving role dogs can play in people's lives Peggy Mangan Foundation.

Here is how they describe the role of the Foundation:

About
Peggy Mangan Foundation is being set up to support Alzheimers sufferers and Missing Persons

Biography
On Tuesday 24th September, Peggy left her home on Mount Tallant Avenue and went out for one of many walks she took each day with her beloved Cavalier King Charles Casper. Peggy never returned home. Her body was located beside Ikea on Saturday 28th September by a group of volunteers that had joined the search. Casper, Peggys loyal companion stayed with Peggy and died with hours of her body being located. The Peggy Mangan Foundation has been established to support those that are afflicted by Alzheimers, to help raise awareness and support Missing Persons families in Ireland and to help raise better awareness of the supports that are available when people go missing, especially the important role that dogs can play.

One fundraising activity is to be a walk on December 12 that will retrace the long walk she took, from near Mt Jerome Cemetery to near IKEA. Anyone would be most welcome and I am sure, especially dogs and most especially, cavaliers.

People could join at any point and not do the whole walk, I should think. There's more information on the walk, HERE.

Perhaps we could organise a cavalier troupe to do the walk, and raise funds through CavalierTalk?

I heard Peggy's son on radio talking about how the greatest comfort the family had was knowing his mother had Casper by her side all the way to the end as he would have brought her reassurance and affection, and she was totally devoted to him.

Her family have posted this on the site:

As time passes and we relive the joy of Pegg'ys life, we keep asking questions, and one of them is about Casper. Knowing her as we did, and as a lot of you have become to know of her life, she was devoted to her family and in most recent years, especially to her beloved Cavalier King Charles, Casper, her devoted companion. Their story remains incredible and is beyond words. We found this online tonight and think that it explains Casper's devotion to Peggy and likewise Peggy's devotion to Casper. Makes sense for both of them as there was a common love for Cadburys Chocolate Fingers and going for loads of walks! Have a read, as this was Casper through and through!!

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a beautiful small dog that undoubtedly is a contender for the title of "top tail-wagger." In fact, among the characteristics that Cavalier breeders strive to attain is a tail in constant motion when this breed is moving.

If the characteristic wagging of the Cavalier's plumy tail doesn't melt your heart, surely his large, dark round eyes will. Warm and lustrous, with a sweet expression, they hold the power to extract constant petting and unlimited supplies of food from people under their spell.

Think its true to say that Casper melted Peggy's heart and kept it warm to the very end, literally. A diamond of a dog and the ultimate pet.

Peggy and Casper, forever loved and never forgotten!

Here is more on the walk:

We will leave Mount Jerome at 4pm,and walk the route Peggy and her loyal friend Casper walked to Ikea.Your welcome to join and leave the walk at any stage. On completion of the walk we will have some members of the O.L.V Gospel choir at Ikea to sing some carols,As well as sponsor cards,there will be collections at Phisboro Shopping centre,Charlstown Shopping centre and Ikea,If you are not able to do the walk come join us at Ikea, All are welcome and so are your dogs https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peggy-Mangan-Foundation/216318968529622

People who cannot walk might enjoy meeting at IKEA that evening with their dogs :).

I will not be here the week of the walk, unfortunately, but would like to help organise a CavalierTalk walk group and donations.

People from anywhere in the world can donate directly here: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/walk_for_peggy_and_casper_event/

Perhaps in comments people can note the money was raised through the CavalierTalk group? And post here, or if you want to be anonymous, drop me a PM with an amount and I'll add it, so we have a running total. :D

Those of us with cavaliers know how special these dogs are.

Im going xx Thank you Karlin for posting this i,d love to see all the little Cavaliers coming out on that evening , even if its just to meet at the finish point at IKEA an army of little cavaliers to show there solidarity for there fellow Cav Casper and honour this little Hero <3
Peggys grandaughter Hayley joined here and piosted somewere maybe if you find it you can join both threads ~ Appreciate all your help <3 there will be a gospel choir at IKEA and a lovely getogether for everyone xxx

Hi everyone, Peggy Mangan is my nanny and as you can see in karlins post what happened to her and her other half Casper is tragic and my family and so many good people want to try make a bit of good out of this heartbreaking situation. There is a facebook page set up called the Peggy Mangan Foundation if you got a chance if you could just like it and share it would be great:) also on december 12th we are going to do my nan and caspers last walk. It will finish at ikea in ballymun and we would love if you all could make it, there is an event on facebook for the walk also. Everyone is welcome and especially all furry friends!! The foundation is being set up to help families going through similar situations, we are working on getting search and rescue dogs trained as there are not enough in ireland, we want to help missing persons and also the alzemhires society. We hope the Peggy Mangan Foundation can make a change but we need all of your help so please try make the walk and bring as many friends and animals as you can:) thanks :) x

Hi everyone, Peggy Mangan is my nanny and as you can see in karlins post what happened to her and her other half Casper is tragic and my family and so many good people want to try make a bit of good out of this heartbreaking situation. There is a facebook page set up called the Peggy Mangan Foundation if you got a chance if you could just like it and share it would be great:) also on december 12th we are going to do my nan and caspers last walk. It will finish at ikea in ballymun and we would love if you all could make it, there is an event on facebook for the walk also. Everyone is welcome and especially all furry friends!! The foundation is being set up to help families going through similar situations, we are working on getting search and rescue dogs trained as there are not enough in ireland, we want to help missing persons and also the alzemhires society. We hope the Peggy Mangan Foundation can make a change but we need all of your help so please try make the walk and bring as many friends and animals as you can:) thanks :) x

Fair play to you Hayley your nanny would be so proud of you xxx and to all her family xx yes i really hope a good few people show up that evening with laods of Cavaliers and show there supportfor their fellow comrade and Hero Casper <3 i cant post up pics but maybe you can Karlin you,l find some on the FB page attached to link xxxx

Hi Hayley -- a very warm welcome from all here. So many of us passed the word and crossposted the story of your nanny when she was missing and we all hoped she would be safely found. Those of us with cavaliers I think especially felt a special connection as we could so easily imagine her out with Casper. It really broke the hearts of so many, that she is no longer with us.

I hope we can all raise some funds for your new foundation here on CavalierTalk and that as many of us as possible will join for the walk and/or the finish. The walk -- and the foundation -- is a wonderful idea.

I know all across the country, people have been thinking of your nan and little Casper, and we all send condolences and wish your family well.

Just to confirm, due to the level of interest, we have decided to change the date of the WALK FOR PEGGY AND CASPER to Saturday 14th December from 12 midday. We will post more details over the weekend, thanks so much for all the support, looking forward to it so much now, thanks from all at the Peggy Mangan Foundation

Maybe more of you can make it now its been changed to a Saturday ? xx

Back