• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Meet Flutie - The World's Smallest Cavalier!

photostream

photostream

She is beautiful! I had to look twice at the picture of her and the golden retriever. At first I thought it was a bear! She is tiny!

Thank you! Yes, I love pictures of her next to other dogs.. she always looks so tiny!! She just got weighed at the vet last week.. 5.7 lbs. And fully grown at 2 years old!! I still can't believe it. You would think she was mixed with a chihuahua... or something. I rescued her from a foster home after she got discarded by her breeder, who didn't want buyers seeing that his "show quality dogs" included such a small runt. I'm completely in love.

She is indeed very sweet. :)

However do be aware that there are often health reasons for very undersized dogs. Runts that remain small many times, do so because of issues with their liver, hydrocephalus or other health issues. Some of these things will not be outwardly apparent or may develop over time. Dogs with liver issues for examples, often cannot fully get all the nutrition out of their meals so their size and overall development is constrained. Hopefully there is nothing that will bother her over her life but anyone with a very undersized dog that was runt of a litter and failed to catch up to littermates in size, needs to be aware and an especially watchful owner, and keep an eye out for potential issues over their dog's lifespan. (y)

Thank you for the info. I have been having her checked regularly since she I first brought her home two years ago. The vets have consistently said that all her vitals look fine, and they have no idea why she stayed so small! Her only issue seems to be that her digestive system is very sensitive. She can't eat ANY human food or most treats. Nothing really except for science diet or she has a bad time. But, other than being careful with her diet, she's been a really healthy pup. Hopefully it will always stay that way!! But yes, I do know that I have to stay vigilant with her for regular check-ups because of her size.

Hi, I'm new on the board, Flutie is so adorably cute...she really is small! If you don't mind my asking, how long is she from head to tail? Also, is this due to her weight? Thanks.

Thank you! She just went to the vet for her annual check up and shots and she weighed in at a hefty 6.4 pounds! This is the heaviest she has ever weighed so her vet and I were both very happy. I have never measured her from head to tail, though - I will have to do that. I do know that she is very very short from head to feet, but she doesn't seem that short from head to tail. I think because her tail is as long as a normal cavalier.

I think she looks cute and I love the photo of her laughing. What a sweet little thing she is.

I wish Flutie a long and healthy life.

Back