• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 puppies at once,not always bad

myluvs

Hi - I wanted to add my experience about having 2 puppies at the same time. My Lily is 9 today (Halloween baby) and we got Winston 5 months later and never had one issue . Lily was only six months at the time and showed him the ropes ,how to go thru doggy door, eating rules,manners and so forth. Lily is very layed back always has been. They have kept each other company when we aren't home and are not overly attached to each other. My breeder is amazing and feels like if you have the time and energy it can be a rewarding experience for you and the puppies . She has been a breeder for 30 years and has a waiting list so its not like she wants to make a extra sell and she will take back a Cav if it doesn't work in your home and place it with a new one. I haven't had any health issues as of yet but do think that money should be a factored in. I think a lot of it can depend on the environment and personality of the dogs. All that being said we just purchased a new Blen boy Henry 14 weeks now and he is a handful !! I would love to get another one but realize after reading all the information out there that I had a great situation the first time and it would be a nightmare to have 2 spunky Cavs at once for me ,I'm exhausted with Henry !! I'm having a much harder time getting my older ones to interact at all with our new addition they act like he's invisible. :( Thought Id add what I've gone thru to those who have made the jump and commited to 2 puppies . This website is so helpful and interesting. Best to you all .

Hoping your two older ones learn to except and eventually enjoy the new addition.

I also had and still have two puppies at the same time. My first, Callie, a golden mix is 10 months older then my Cavalier. I got them each when they were 10 weeks old. I would have never done it any other way. They bonded right away and the older one taught the younger one the ropes so to speak. They enjoy each others company so much and have the same level of energy. It is funny how they pick up each others traits. Callie is not nearly as graceful, actually very awkward, when she stands on her hind legs and spins. She only started doing that after we got Remy who was a natural. Remy picked up that using his nose gets him a lot more treats that I hide around the house by watching Callie sniff out goodies. In the beginning I was worried about the size difference, but Calllie has been a good and gentle big sister and the one time one got hurt it was Callie because Remy accidentally scratched her cornea when they were rough housing.

It is a lot of work in the beginning but it is so rewarding if they really enjoy each other.
IMG_20130410_083725_170_zps6ed202a0.jpg

Honestly, it is a little dream of mine to one day get two litter mates- cavalier puppies. I think it all depends on the family. If you have the knowledge, time, money and desire I don't see how it would be a problem. Sure two puppies are twice the work but also twice the enjoyment! However, I think there is NOTHING better than sharing your life with a cavalier. I can 1000% understand why people say they are collectible. Fletcher will be 2 in February (I know already) and we are seriously thinking about adding another to our household by next summer.

I prefer to take in a rescue...these dogs need forever homes. But we'll see.

Never heard the collectable phrase before , love it and so true.They do give so much to their owners ! I appalled u for rescue the precious pets it like adopting a child so u selfish !

Never heard the collectable phrase before , love it and so true.They do give so much to their owners ! I appalled u for rescue the precious pets it like adopting a child so u selfish !

Really you never heard anyone say cavaliers are collectible? I was told by a bunch of people both here and around that cavaliers are like M&M's you can never just have one. I know several people who own a "whole set" a cavalier in every color- now that makes me jealous:lpy:

In my experience - having two cavaliers around the same age has been wonderful. I'm not going to lie, it was a lot of work in the puppy stages and it took a lot of time and attention. They have built such a close bond though and their lives are filled with joy, having each other to play with and people to love. If you have the time and are willing to put the work in for the wonderful end result - it is totally worth it! Our theory was that it would be easier just to get over the puppy stages all at once and have them grow up together.

I have three dogs, 2 chins and 1 CKC. The CKC came last. The only issue I could see with two or more Cavs is their need to be on top of you. If one of the chins is in my lap, Bosco will come along and squeeeeeeze in. The chins are not long-time lap dogs, so they just sit a bit and move on. It I had two Bosco's, I'm not sure my lap could handle them. Keep in mind, Bosco is a "big" boy at 22 lbs. How do other multiple Cav owners do it?

I have three dogs, 2 chins and 1 CKC. The CKC came last. The only issue I could see with two or more Cavs is their need to be on top of you. If one of the chins is in my lap, Bosco will come along and squeeeeeeze in. The chins are not long-time lap dogs, so they just sit a bit and move on. It I had two Bosco's, I'm not sure my lap could handle them. Keep in mind, Bosco is a "big" boy at 22 lbs. How do other multiple Cav owners do it?

I would not mind trying to fit 2 cavaliers in my lap at once!!!!! Fletcher prefers to lay in the back of the sofa and be my neck warmer, or sit beside me and lay his sweet head in my lap. The only time Fletcher wants to sit IN my lap is when Mr. Monster does. I can fit a 24 lbs cavalier and a 32 lbs little boy why not 2 cavaliers or 3??? LOL

My Lily doesn't jump up anymore so she lays in her bed or by the fire and Winston sleeps on top of the couch cushions so he can observe everything ,when they were young the shared my lap or sat on each side of me. :) The puppy seems to like sleeping,sitting with all of us . My husband ,myself and my 4 teenage boys !!

Back