Thread: Bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bugs

Bentley chases and chews anything in our yard, leaves blowing etc. Now i have a new issue - bugs. He hunts down spiders and bugs and goes nuts trying to eat it or play with it. there are alot of spiders out here - all kinds. I am teaching him the leave it command and bring him in when i see this but i cannot always catch him at this activity the first couple of seconds. I am concerned because there are black widows out here.

I do not leave him out in the yard alone, partly because he wont stay out there by himself anyway and also so he cant get into trouble chewing something he shouldnt - like spiders . UGH ,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley and Me View Post
    Bentley chases and chews anything in our yard, leaves blowing etc. Now i have a new issue - bugs. He hunts down spiders and bugs and goes nuts trying to eat it or play with it. there are alot of spiders out here - all kinds. I am teaching him the leave it command and bring him in when i see this but i cannot always catch him at this activity the first couple of seconds. I am concerned because there are black widows out here.

I do not leave him out in the yard alone, partly because he wont stay out there by himself anyway and also so he cant get into trouble chewing something he shouldnt - like spiders . UGH ,,,
    Bentley is certainly keeping you on your toes. Have you tried working/training with a clicker? Everytime Bentley does something good, you click and reward. In a short amount of time, the sound of the click will grab Bentley's attention quickly. Might help in cases where he needs to pay attention quickly. Of course, you need to have the clicker with you and handy, which is not always possible.

Good luck. Bosco loves mulch and nuts, so our walks are peppered with "leave it", "leave it", "Oh Bosco....leave it".

Joan