Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Whining

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Whining

    Nigel, 3 years old, whines a lot and I'm at a loss to understand why. I got him last May when he needed a home and is a well behaved dog and I feel he was well treated in his former home.
    Yesterday, when we walked in the park, he didn't stop whining.
    He doesn't whine on my lap, while in the car, nor around meal times. Vet has declared him healthy.
    So I am at a loss to understand why.
    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubles View Post
    Nigel, 3 years old, whines a lot and I'm at a loss to understand why. I got him last May when he needed a home and is a well behaved dog and I feel he was well treated in his former home.
    Yesterday, when we walked in the park, he didn't stop whining.
    He doesn't whine on my lap, while in the car, nor around meal times. Vet has declared him healthy.
    So I am at a loss to understand why.
    Any suggestions?
    Does he only whine in the park?? Bosco does this at times too, and I am perplexed. I used to think maybe his knee was bothering him, but he always seems fine once we get home. Maybe, he is anxious about being in the park? i'm trying to figure it out too!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    How often does he get walks? Or walks in the park? To me it sounds like over excitement . Generally a daily long walk or two would eventually stop this. Most dogs need at least an hour of active walking daily.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    How often does he get walks? Or walks in the park? To me it sounds like over excitement . Generally a daily long walk or two would eventually stop this. Most dogs need at least an hour of active walking daily.
    That is a possiblity for Bosco, Karlin. We walk daily, but normally in the neighborhood. On the weekend, I take him to the park and that's when he whines. When we arrive, he is absolutely overexcited and is sniffing, pulling and running. Then, he sits and whines a bit and then moves on. I thought it might be his knee giving him issues, hence the whine (pain?). I'm going to try to get to the park mid-week and then on the weekend and see if he's just overexcited. He does whine sometimes before feeding (excitement), so you may be on to something. Thanks for the thought.

    Ah... if only he could talk, I would know for sure!

    Joan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Karlin,
    We live on a farm with a huge, fenced yard for the dogs and woods on both sides of the house--many birds and squirrels so Nigel doesn't get to the park very often. Charlie, the other Cav also came along for the walk. I noticed he didn't sniff at anything.
    Nigel's former home was on the 25th floor in a city high rise two blocks away from a park so he must have been walked often. They all sit by the patio door waiting for something to chase so he gets lots of exercise.
    Last edited by rubles; 4th November 2013 at 10:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joandesan View Post
    Does he only whine in the park?? Bosco does this at times too, and I am perplexed. I used to think maybe his knee was bothering him, but he always seems fine once we get home. Maybe, he is anxious about being in the park? i'm trying to figure it out too!
    No, not just in the park. I mentioned it because walks in the park are usually happy, exciting occasions and it was recent. When attending the vet for his booster shot he whined in the waiting room and again while in the examining room when I was talking with the vet--being in the vets I could understand somewhat.
    Interestingly, he was named Bosco by his former owner.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •