• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A Cavalier Miracle has occurred

Bentley and Me

I wanted a Yellow Naped Amazon parrot for 30 years. Circumstances being as what they were it never happened until November, 2012. I got this parrot and he was an older Male bird, set in his ways, very independent and he bonded tightly with hubby. Anyone who knows these birds know how moody and one person they can be. Up until 3 weeks and 2 days ago I could not walk by his cage without him lunging out to bite me hard, trying to attack me. Very nasty most of the time, even though I am the one who feeds and takes care of him. Of course I was heartbroken that my dream bird did not want anything to do with me.

We got Bentley, our Cavalier Puppy 3 weeks and 2 days ago now. Since that date the Parrot has switched 180 degrees. The day after we got the dog the bird has become my most loving, sweetest bird. I spend a ton of time with him with him nuzzling up to me, scratching his head and him grooming both he and I. He calls me when I take the dog outside. He wants so badly to be included in my relationship with Bentley. We have breakfast together every morning and play on the sofa in the evenings.

This turnaround is nothing less than amazing. And since nothing else has changed I have to attribute this turnaround to getting Bentley. The competition for attention has made all the difference. Now I have not one but two really sweet loving pets. It truly is a miracle to me. Bentley brought a whole house full of love when he walked into our door that obviously rubbed off on the parrot.
Video of morning at the breakfast table a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
That is wonderful. Of course, any of my family's cavaliers would just love to chomp down on any bird they can get ahold of!

That was great. I wonder if he had a dog friend in his old home, or if it just competition as you say.

Guinness would never hurt a bird, I don't know what he'd do if one started talking to him though :yikes

My husband grew up with a Yellow Naped Amazon who 100% hated him. Gonzo, was fine with strangers and both of my husband parents, very loving but would freak out whenever my husband would come in the room....he would say BAD BOY and get all crazy. It was funny, but yeah those birds have so much personality. I personally could never own a large bird like that they are too loud, plus I already have too many kids talking to me all day :yikes

One of the great things about owning big birds is they live so long. My in-laws lost Gonzo just last year, he was 42! They got him as a young bird for wedding gift.

Wow -- what an amazing response. Guess he saw you and Bentley bonding, and figured he wanted in on the action!

Is he still affectionate with your husband?

Yes, they are a challenge for sure. Mine isnt all that loud but he has his moments. So smart, like a 3-5 year old child and very emotional. he is able to tell you in human English what he wants, it is amazing. Wish Bentley could talk too.

They arent for everyone, it takes alot of patience to have a larger parrot. But then so does a new puppy. Diligence is critical when you have a bird and a bird dog in the same house. Have to watch every move they both make all the time. The bird has no fear of the dog and the dog is intrigued by the bird. My job is the watchman to make sure they never are in the same spot at the same time.

He still likes hubby but not as much as before.

That is so funny - he's a very clever parrot! There's nothing like a bit of competition to get some attention.

That is amazing! I am not really a bird person but I find them SO interesting. My friend has a Hawk Head parrot, Gracie is terrified of it but Lady likes to give it a smell if she's brave enough to get close.

Back