Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We have decided to put Shiloh down

Post Thanks / Like

As I read your post, I have tears streaming down my face. The decision you've made is so incredibly brave and I hope that you will take some comfort from the support you have from everyone who's posted here. I'd never wish to have to make the same decision, but if faced with the same circumstances I can only pray that I'll be as brave as you.

Shiloh is blessed to have found you because you couldn't have done anything more for her and you can now give her the gift of peace from this hideous disease.

Sleep peacefully little Shiloh x
    Nicki
    Proud owner of Jazz

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear this. I echo what everyone else has already said, find comfort in knowing she will be at peace. (((HUGS)))
    Sir Remington II (Remy) Oct. 17, 2012 -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is blindingly obvious that you have tried everything that there is to help Shiloh but nothing has spared her from this awful pain. There is only one thing left that you can do for her, which is what you will be doing on Saturday. I am so very sorry it has to end this way, but Shiloh will be watching over you from the meadows of Rainbow Bridge and I am convinced that we are reunited with our dogs once we pass over ourselves.

Take comfort in knowing that despite the pain it will bring you are doing what is best for Shiloh.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

I also had tears in my eyes reading your post. I am so sorry you are going through this, but as everyone has said you are doing the kindest act for Shiloh. I also believe we will be reunited with our beloved pets one day. In the meantime she will be pain free.

I hate hate this horrific disease!

Virtual hugs to you.
    Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's lovely that Bella is spending time with Shiloh, sometimes the other dogs just seem to "know".

Would your vet come out to the house to give Shiloh her wings? We have generally done that in the past, the dog lies on my lap for a cuddle with a last special treat, prawns or whatever they like to distract them.

If possible afterwards, let Bella see Shiloh, so she can understand what's happened. She will grieve but should not do the restless searching which can be distressing for the remaining dog and their guardians. Try to keep to her routine as much as possible, that will help both of you.

We use Dr Bach rescue remedy, walnut remedy, and honeysuckle; also homoeopathic remedy ignatia to help both four and two leggeds with grief.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Neither of my two SM dogs have anywhere near Shiloh's pain, but I am still always watching out for them, noting when they have bad days and will need extra medication, making sure they get their pills at the right time, dealing with the other ailments they have etc, etc. Even mild SM takes over your life, and the symptoms can be so subtle that many people who haven't lived with SM dogs don't notice them and many Cavaliers must be living with some degree of pain. It is a horrible disease, and Shiloh has shown it at its worst. Thank you for making the videos, I'm sure there will be opportunities to share them, Thinking of you all on Saturday, you are doing the right thing but it is always agonisingly hard.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry to hear that you need to make this difficult decision for Shiloh. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow. Sleep well sweet Shiloh, no more pain for you. Xx
    Sue

Darcy - Blenheim - 17th Sept 2005
    'Life is a balance of holding on and letting go'

Post Thanks / Like

Such an agonising and heartbreaking decision - my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Run free little one x
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

Post Thanks / Like

Your post has reduced me to tears as I look down at my beloved little chap asleep next to me.......I hope if I ever have to make the decision we all dread I can be as brave as you........you've certainly tried everything possible to give Shiloh some sort of quality in her life and there is no argument you are making the right decision......I will be thinking of you tomorrow.....take some comfort in knowing that people from around the entire world will be thinking of you and little Shiloh and sending love and hugs your way.....Mel xxxxx
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone so much. Today has been incredibly emotional. Spending our last moments with her and trying to keep her comfortable. She has had the worst day today she's ever had. In a way I'm grateful that there is NO second guessing our decision, and we have no doubt that it is time. She has been in horrible pain today and is just lifeless. She can no longer walk up the stairs, can not jump up on the couch, and I believe she had her first episode of paralysis today. For about 10-15 minutes she could not stand up or walk. Then it passed, but she can not jump up at all. And she screams in pain at the lightest touch to her hind legs. I just keep telling her it will be over soon.

My parents will be going with us in the morning to the vet, and then we will bury her in their yard. We are planning on letting Bella see her and sniff her afterward to help her make sense of it all. We are also going to plant a tree in her honor. The rest of the family will come over afterward to say goodbye. I feel I have been grieving and saying goodbye all week, but tomorrow she will finally be free. I am going to keep that with me to help me move on. And I have to believe that we will see her again. I don't know how we can be blessed with such a gift and not believe we will see her again.

11. Thanks Nicki thanked for this post