• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We have decided to put Shiloh down

Luckystar

Hi everyone.

After a long and hard journey with Shiloh, my husband and I have made the impossibly hard decision to have Shiloh put down. She has been on the maximum possible dose of her medicines for quite a while now, and while she sometimes has "normal doggy moments", she never escapes her pain and suffering. We have tried everything. Done everything we could possibly do. Her vet has been following Clare's treatment algorithm to a T. We took Shiloh to her follow up appointment last week and Dr. Pearce is concerned since Shiloh has started displaying seizure-like symptoms. But more than anything we are all concerned about her level of pain, which is severe. She has been hiding under our bed everyday, for most of the day, just crying. Before we found out about SM and before she was started on the meds, she would do this all the time and had stopped eating. Then the meds seemed to help at first and she had normal moments, although brief, but has declined despite all of our efforts.

The other day she stopped eating, and has been in severe pain. If she is not under our bed, she is in her crate crying. The crying and whimpers are nonstop. She has bitten her paws to the point of bleeding and has had no escape from her pain. On Monday afternoon, after being up all night with her the night before, the pain in her eyes was so evident that I couldn't deny it or ignore it anymore. I knew it was time. I made the appointment for Saturday morning. I was hoping she would bounce back and that it was just a pressure thing, and that maybe I could cancel the appointment after all. But the reality is that she has NO quality of life anymore. And I finally got to the point that the pain of watching her suffer constantly, was greater than the pain of losing her. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking than watching a helpless, beloved dog writhe in pain. It's HEART WRENCHING. I have felt so helpless these last few days. And my poor baby just had her 2nd birthday. Who puts down a 2 year old dog!? SM is HORRIFYING. The whole thing is just horrifying.

I love this dog beyond words. She is so brave. She is a true champion at this thing called life. Despite her suffering everyday, she has brought us so much joy. I can't even begin to know what Saturday will feel like. But I wanted to let you all know. You all have been so helpful and supportive throughout this whole thing. Shiloh and I are so appreciative of EVERY one of you. Your support means more than you know. I hope to still be an active part of the forum, and in Shiloh's honor I'd like to help others the best I can. My tears are blinding me at the moment....

We have a library of videos of Shiloh's symptoms and episodes, and when I'm ready I'd love to post them somewhere to help spread awareness. We have been taking a lot of videos over the last few months. Initially they were for her vet visits, but lately I've been determined to capture the reality of this disease. After all, others' videos online were the very reason we pursued a proper diagnosis so aggressively. It was like a lightbulb went off when we watched them. And I hope that somehow, Shiloh's videos can be the same for someone else, even if it helps just one dog. Then, in a way, her suffering would have some meaning. I really believe that if she had been properly diagnosed and treated early on, she may have actually had a good life. But diagnosis for other dogs won't come easy if we don't talk about it everywhere we go. That was the advice Dr. Pearce gave us. She said, "Rather than try to hunt down the monsters who bred her, talk about it to everyone you meet, everywhere you go, all the time. Spread awareness so people understand how many cavaliers are suffering..." I believe this is good advice. Then she cried as she held Shiloh, and told us, "It makes me so angry that these people are breeding these dogs, knowing that the parents have SM. It is cruelty to animals. No animal deserves this kind of life."

I couldn't agree more. Please pray for us on Saturday. I will be giving lots of hugs to Shiloh the next 2 days and I will be sure to give her some on your behalf. Thanks for the support.

Xo,
Dre

Thank you for making this brave decision for your Precious girl. I'm so sorry you have been through this, and for Shiloh, it's such a horrendous condition. Heartbreaking to see your dog suffering in this way.

It does sound like Shiloh is in very severe pain and I strongly believe you have made the right decision, we should never let a dog suffer for or own selfish reasons of wanting to keep them with us. Yes it will hurt to let her go, nothing can prepare you for that, but this is something we face every time we welcome an animal into our lives, one day we have to say goodbye.

Your vet sounds very wise, I commend her words, something positive with which you can move forward.

Yes it would be good to be able to make use of your videos, maybe when you are ready you could contact [email protected] as she may have some ideas; also Karlin who owns this forum possibly for http://sm.cavaliertalk.com

We will be keeping you in our thoughts, please do continue to visit the forum when you can.

Thank you so much Nicki. Such wonderful insight you have given me. I still have a lot of guilt and I keep second guessing the decision. Only because it just feels so wrong to put down such a young pup. But Dr. Pearce also made sure to tell us, "It's not your fault she has SM. It is not your fault they bred a dog with a hideous disease." I guess I can't hear those words enough. It makes it easier when others reassure me that we've made the right choice, so thank you for that. :)

I have a 2 year old Cav and it would break my heart to see him in the kind of pain you describe. You have worked with a wonderful vet, followed instructions and did everything within your power for Shiloh. If you think it is time, then it certainly is, as no one knows Shiloh like you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you today, as well as Saturday and the coming weeks. It's horrible that you have to make this decision due to uncaring breeders. I'm 100% behind you.

Joan

Man, life sure isn't fair. But I do believe when you see the difference in the look on Shiloh's face after she receives her injection and she's at peace with no more pain, you will know that you did the right thing. If you've never put a dog down, it's a very humane thing, very peaceful, very loving, very quiet (at least my experience with our german shepherd was). And my vet let us stay in the room with her as long as we wanted afterwards - which we needed to hold her and say good-bye. I'm so sorry that you had to get to this point though. That's the rotten part. We certainly were all rooting for Shiloh. You will be in our thoughts and prayers from now until Saturday and beyond. And you are and always will be a member of this community.

Thanks so much. This morning has been brutal. Shiloh is in immense pain today. I'm just trying to keep her comfortable. Keeping her sedated and comforting her as much as possible. My other dog, Bella, has started going under the bed with her, I'm assuming to give Shiloh support. We are all suffering. After Saturday there will be an overwhelming peace in our home...

I'm going to stretch and go ahead and speak for everyone on CT- We wholeheartedly support your decision and send our sympathy. :l*v: We also wish NO other dog would have to deal with this painful awful condition.

I want you to know that I try VERY hard to enjoy EVERY healthy moment I get with my Fletcher. I never skip a walk, a play time, a chance to cuddle, or even just talk to my dog because I know I can be in your shoes at anytime. Sometimes we get busy in life and forget to take time to "smell the roses", I will NEVER do that with Fletcher as a small way to honor your sweet cavalier. I also believe like you do that awareness and farther research is greatly needed in SM. Please know Shiloh will be in my thoughts on Saturday. You are so brave!!! Also please do not leave CT, there are NO rules about owning a cavalier to hang out here. I was a member for awhile before I got Fletcher.

I am so sorry that you have reached the end of this journey with Shiloh but every one of us who has a dog will understand both how difficult it is and also how there comes a point when a truly loving owner knows 'it is time'. It is one of the most caring and courageous decisions anyone makes and requires no apologies. I think most of us find that though the initial decision is a hard one to take, afterwards we come to know more and more that it was the right decision. Each dog lives on too, in our hearts and minds; they are each so special.

It is heart breaking to know that you are at this point now and you will have a huge collective circle of support behind you on Saturday, all of us can either know your own pain, having shared this hard experience or truly empathise as we all so love our dogs. Being there with them at the end is the greatest final kindness we give them, too; just as they were there for us so many times in their lives, however brief they may be. What a caring and thoughtful vet you have, as well. :flwr:

I am so sorry you have had to come to this decision. Shiloh has been through so much and so brave. The best thing any one of us can do for our beloved pets is love them and take care of them to the very best of our ability. You have certainly done that.
I will be thinking of you and your family on Saturday, a day that will be so painful for you, but pain free for Shiloh.

THE LAST BATTLE
Author Unknown
If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this last battle can’t be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When the time comes,
Please, let me go.
Take me to where my needs they’ll tend,
Only, stay with me until the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don’t grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do
We’ve been so close – we two – these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

As I read your post, I have tears streaming down my face. The decision you've made is so incredibly brave and I hope that you will take some comfort from the support you have from everyone who's posted here. I'd never wish to have to make the same decision, but if faced with the same circumstances I can only pray that I'll be as brave as you.

Shiloh is blessed to have found you because you couldn't have done anything more for her and you can now give her the gift of peace from this hideous disease.

Sleep peacefully little Shiloh x

I am so sorry to hear this. I echo what everyone else has already said, find comfort in knowing she will be at peace. (((HUGS)))

It is blindingly obvious that you have tried everything that there is to help Shiloh but nothing has spared her from this awful pain. There is only one thing left that you can do for her, which is what you will be doing on Saturday. I am so very sorry it has to end this way, but Shiloh will be watching over you from the meadows of Rainbow Bridge and I am convinced that we are reunited with our dogs once we pass over ourselves.

Take comfort in knowing that despite the pain it will bring you are doing what is best for Shiloh.

I also had tears in my eyes reading your post. I am so sorry you are going through this, but as everyone has said you are doing the kindest act for Shiloh. I also believe we will be reunited with our beloved pets one day. In the meantime she will be pain free.

I hate hate this horrific disease!

Virtual hugs to you.

It's lovely that Bella is spending time with Shiloh, sometimes the other dogs just seem to "know".

Would your vet come out to the house to give Shiloh her wings? We have generally done that in the past, the dog lies on my lap for a cuddle with a last special treat, prawns or whatever they like to distract them.

If possible afterwards, let Bella see Shiloh, so she can understand what's happened. She will grieve but should not do the restless searching which can be distressing for the remaining dog and their guardians. Try to keep to her routine as much as possible, that will help both of you.

We use Dr Bach rescue remedy, walnut remedy, and honeysuckle; also homoeopathic remedy ignatia to help both four and two leggeds with grief.

Neither of my two SM dogs have anywhere near Shiloh's pain, but I am still always watching out for them, noting when they have bad days and will need extra medication, making sure they get their pills at the right time, dealing with the other ailments they have etc, etc. Even mild SM takes over your life, and the symptoms can be so subtle that many people who haven't lived with SM dogs don't notice them and many Cavaliers must be living with some degree of pain. It is a horrible disease, and Shiloh has shown it at its worst. Thank you for making the videos, I'm sure there will be opportunities to share them, Thinking of you all on Saturday, you are doing the right thing but it is always agonisingly hard.

:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I am very sorry to hear that you need to make this difficult decision for Shiloh. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow. Sleep well sweet Shiloh, no more pain for you. Xx

Such an agonising and heartbreaking decision - my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Run free little one x

Your post has reduced me to tears as I look down at my beloved little chap asleep next to me.......I hope if I ever have to make the decision we all dread I can be as brave as you........you've certainly tried everything possible to give Shiloh some sort of quality in her life and there is no argument you are making the right decision......I will be thinking of you tomorrow.....take some comfort in knowing that people from around the entire world will be thinking of you and little Shiloh and sending love and hugs your way.....Mel xxxxx

Thank you everyone so much. Today has been incredibly emotional. Spending our last moments with her and trying to keep her comfortable. She has had the worst day today she's ever had. In a way I'm grateful that there is NO second guessing our decision, and we have no doubt that it is time. She has been in horrible pain today and is just lifeless. She can no longer walk up the stairs, can not jump up on the couch, and I believe she had her first episode of paralysis today. For about 10-15 minutes she could not stand up or walk. Then it passed, but she can not jump up at all. And she screams in pain at the lightest touch to her hind legs. I just keep telling her it will be over soon.

My parents will be going with us in the morning to the vet, and then we will bury her in their yard. We are planning on letting Bella see her and sniff her afterward to help her make sense of it all. We are also going to plant a tree in her honor. The rest of the family will come over afterward to say goodbye. I feel I have been grieving and saying goodbye all week, but tomorrow she will finally be free. I am going to keep that with me to help me move on. And I have to believe that we will see her again. I don't know how we can be blessed with such a gift and not believe we will see her again.

Back