• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just joined

terrieturtle

:paw:Hi, my name is Terrie and I live in Australia. I have a Cavalier pup, Mac, aged 18 weeks, who is a joy, such a happy little chap.
i joined this site to read about all things Cavalier, as we have never had a Cav before. We are going to obedience classes but Mac is so distracted and excited by other pups, loose leash walking is proving a challenge to say the least. We practise at home with treats every morning before his breakfast, but even here the slightest thing (lizard, spider, moth) distracts him,so just have to be persistent. He is very with good at sitting! And every time I stop plants his bottom and looks up expectantly for his treat.

looking forward to reading all your posts and if anyone has ideas about good toys for Mac, let me know. How has soft toys, a large soft dog he sleeps with, a soft cow that squeaks, a rope with squeak head, a conch, a rubber bone, but he gets bored.

Hello terrieTurtle icon_welcome I am a Queenslander, too. BrisVegas in fact. Mac sounds a treasure. You will find the users of this site very helpful with heaps of experience to share. Cavaliers have great noses and pick up the scent of everything and this makes a great distraction. My sister had a pink gorilla for her dogs......er did not last long... loved to death. Cheers Kerrie:cool:

Hello and welcome. Since I live in the US, and I hate cold weather I am completely jealous of your warm Australian weather.

My cavalier, Fletcher is just under 2 year old and teaching him to walk on a loose lead has always been a problem. Personally, I think while cavaliers are smart, they are also a little impulsive more like little children with a serious case of ADHD (attention defect hyperactive disorder). I simply cannot train Fletcher out of his desire to meet/play with children. Fletcher and my little son, Mr. Monster are best buddies. When I walk Fletcher he does good walking with a loose lead even when passing adults or other dogs however if he hears or sees a child all training is straight out the door. I manage this only, I do not think I will ever be able to get him to walk past a kid without pulling. When we approach a child, I move far off the path and have Fletcher sit/stay......its a struggle for him, he keeps looking up at me that sweet little tail going. More often than not the child wants to meet him and asks to. Cavalier's are somewhat of a rare breed in my area, and he's so cute who wouldn't want to meet him? I'm sure if I worked with a professional trainer we could over come this but honestly. I am pretty happy with Fletcher's manners and I happen to LOVE the fact that he enjoys children so much.

Remember Mac is still a young pup, serious play is what they do. Keep working on it, since he is so naturally interested I might allow him to stop and "smell the roses" for the part of the walk then try and get him to actually walk after that. When I was first teaching Fletcher to walk in a leash, I used to walk him on a short lead (4 ft) and in an area with little distractions. We live in a neighborhood with very little street traffic so we walked in the middle of the road!

Good luck and post pictures, we love puppy pictures!

Back