• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Cavalier has dry heaves...what to do?

bethann1970

Hello! I'm getting a little worried about my Cavalier, Chauncey. He just turned three and has always been healthy, but in the last few months, he's been having dry heaves. Nothing ever comes up, just heaves. This has gotten worse in the past week, where he's waking up in the middle of the night at least 3x. He's eating and drinking well, and is having no issues with bodily functions. I have heard everything from heartworm to Kennel Cough. We do have two other dogs (1 Cocker Spaniel just adopted from the shelter where I volunteer, and 1 Saint Bernard), neither of which have any symptoms of the cough/heaves. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome -- sorry to hear you are having frustrations getting a diagnosis. Has he been treated for heartworm? Has he been checked for lungworm (if you have it in your area)?

Perhaps a more likely issue in this short-nosed breed is a problem with an obstructed airway:

http://cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm

Thanks for the suggestion, but of all the symptoms listed in the article, Chauncey only has the one, the dry heaves. There is no lungworm in the area, and he has not been treated for heartworm, but the vet that visits the animal shelter where I volunteer, said that unless he shows other symptoms, it's most likely not heartworm.

Could you be hearing what is called a reverse sneeze??? It sounds super weird, maybe you can google it and find a video to help you. Just like people some dog will do it a few times in a row.

I watched the video and it is definitely not reverse sneezing. I then watched the videos of Kennel Cough, and I have to believe that what he has. I'm going to try some of the regular remedies, like honey and robitussin. If those don't help, it's off to the vet. Thanks for your help!

Back