• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are winter jackets needed in the south?

Emcannon

Hello! I am a first time dog mom and trying to determine if my 9 year old rescue will need a winter jacket for North Carolina and Tennessee winters. If there is anyone in these areas that could advise or a rule of thumb about the temp. that their coats keep them warm I would much appreciate it! Thank you!

If they are clipped or older, then I definitely recommend a coat, but do monitor to make sure they are not getting too hot if they are running around. A lightweight waterproof is a good idea for wet walks to keep them dry, make sure it covers the hips. Some coats have a piece that covers the belly area too which is a good idea for our low slung sporty models who can get very wet and dirty underneath!
Unfortunately many coats have thick linings which are just too warm unless you have very extreme weather conditions.

which is a good idea for our low slung sporty models who can get very wet and dirty underneath!

:rotfl:

Good advice from Nicki. I am not sure how cold it gets where you are but I haven't needed coats much except sometimes to carry along in case dogs get wet on a cold day, or on rare occasions when it has snowed. To what Nicki says, I'd add lot depends on how heavy the dog's own coat is, and also the size of the dog. The smaller the dog, the harder it is for them to generate their own heat. I have one small cavalier who sometimes needs a coat on really cold days, when the others do not. Oldies and ill dogs appreciate them too.

I do however agree that a lightweight raincoat is very useful and the ones that have a chest protection bit are def the best I think. They can get pretty darn wet across the chest!

Thanks ladies. Summer is about 21 pounds and I don't have her trimmed super short but she doesn't have the full coat that a show dog would have by any means. For our walks in the morning as winter approaches I'm am thinking the temperature will be in the upper 20's/low 30's at times.

Thanks ladies. Summer is about 21 pounds and I don't have her trimmed super short but she doesn't have the full coat that a show dog would have by any means. For our walks in the morning as winter approaches I'm am thinking the temperature will be in the upper 20's/low 30's at times.

I live in New York and our winters get colder than yours, but I have never used a coat on Bosco, only because he won't move if he has it on. As long as you are walking/moving with Summer and out for a 15 -20 minute walk, she should be fine. Any longer than that, and I would definitely consider a coat or sweater.

I live in southeastern Virginia. I don't even wear a coat unless I am going to be outside for awhile. We are pretty lucky here tho it hardly snows and winters are mostly dry.

We average around 10-15c over our short winter months; but its usually bright and sunny for at least part of the day, so I put mine in outdoor coats only if we're wet walking or its rainy. But we're in an old stone house and its very, very draughty and cold - no central heating over here! so a light sweater is essential for lounging indoors even when the space heating has been on! often it is warmer outside than in :cool:

Unless your dog is very old or in poor health, he/she should be fine. Since he is 9 y/o, , then a coat would be nice if the temps go below 20°F.
Sophie will be five years old in two weeks, and I don't put a coat on her.

What is really nice for an elderly dog, though, is a heating pad in their bed, if the thermostat in the house is 70°F or lower at night, or a crate that is covered with polar fleece (which is really inexpensive at JoAnn's with a coupon, Hancock Fabrics, or WalMart). Even an old blanket or bedspread will do. When our Shih Tzu hit those senior years, I found the heating pads at PetSmart.

That's a good idea Waldor - just make sure they have space to lie off the heat pad if they get too hot.

If you're not happy using a heat pad, the SnuggleSafe heat pads are great, if you put them under a blanket they keep warm for at least 8 hours. I take one to bed too LOL it's great as it stands up against my back and stays warm a lot longer than a water-filled bottle.

I live in sometimes freezing cold Chicago and the only time I put coats/jackets on my four is when there is a lot of snow on the ground. I got jackets recommended by our buddy Brian that cover the legs and belly so they don't come in covered in snowballs. Otherwise I'd spend half my day blow drying them!!

I got jackets recommended by our buddy Brian that cover the legs and belly so they don't come in covered in snowballs. Otherwise I'd spend half my day blow drying them!!

Oh! Those snowballs . . . ugh! We had one winter with a fair amount of snow and they drove me bonkers. As for Sophie, she did not notice them nor care. :*gh:

We live near Mom obvious in southern Virginia and have not used a coat on five year old rescue, Charlie. His hair is not real long but quite thick. Just watch him and see how he does before going to the expense.

We live near Mom obvious in southern Virginia and have not used a coat on five year old rescue, Charlie. His hair is not real long but quite thick. Just watch him and see how he does before going to the expense.

Funny this morning was 29 degrees, Fletcher ran so quick in and out to potty LOL I walked 3 whole miles in it. I was a popsicle when I finished.....I HATE the cold.

It is very cold and raining here too. Summer refused to go outside. She just looked at me like, "yeah right mom."

I only put coats on the girls if the temperature is below -15C (5F). If it falls below -20C I also use the rubber balloon boots since Lady refuses to walk on the cold pavement. Neither dog likes to go outside if it's raining though ;)

We live in central Alabama, and it really just depends on how long you will be out. Rose has a pair of "waffle knit" long johns for when it's really cold, or it has actually snowed, if she is going to be out a while. Just for pottying, she goes out without a coat. Our boxer will be needing a coat though, with her short hair and low fat ratio ;) . I have a t-shirt material "coat" for her, and a waterproof warm coat for snow/cold rain. Rose also has a raincoat, but we haven't needed it so far.

Back