Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Tess's health-- not good news

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on Tess's health-- not good news

I haven't posted much here lately, but I wanted to update you on my little Tess. She has been losing weight and drinking a lot of water lately, so we went to see the vet. The test results are not good. Tess has liver cancer. They don't know exactly what type of cancer it is and in order to find out they'd probably need to do surgery for a piece of her liver to run tests on. The cancer is throughout her liver--many nodules--so we're talking palliative cancer care if we move forward. Given that she has a weak heart, and that this doesn't sound like a cancer she can truly recuperate from, my daughter and I have decided to make her happy and let her live out the rest of her life without the chemo intervention.

I called the vet today and explained what we had decided. I'm going to pick up a pain prescription later, and start feeding her tasty tidbits to see if we can keep her appetite going and put a little weight on her. She seems frail and delicate all of a sudden, but we're going to have as much fun in her life as possible over the time we have left with her.

Post Thanks / Like

God bless you all. These little ones truly count on all of us make the right decisions with their welfare. Everyone knows the right thing to do - only a few have the courage to do the right thing. Clearly, you are making a decision in the best interests of your little one. I'm sure you'll make sure she is pain free - we know she's already well loved. One thing I've noticed as a member of this group - everyone feels like a spear hit us in the chest when we hear of sick cavvies. Hopefully, you may take some measure of comfort in knowing others feel your pain and have you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

3. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry that you and Tess are going through this.

Thinking of you

Kate, Oliver and Aled

5. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh that is not good news at all. I agree with your decision not to do chemo, taking her overall health in to consideration. It does make it any easier tho

Please keep us updated!
    Hoping for the best for you and her.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

7. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you got this news. We are all here to help and support you.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

9. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So very sorry to read this sad news. I totally agree with your decision to make her remaining time as happy and comfortable as possible. It's not always right to intervene, in this type of situation, my vet says that there is no point in testing unless you are going to act upon the results. It would be miserable for Tess to undergo surgery and worrying with a weak heart anyway.

I'm not sure if you are giving liver support supplements? In the past we've used Zentonil Advanced (SAMe + silybin - the active ingredient in milk Thistle) but your vet should be able to advise.

We are all here for you and hope that will be a source of support for you in the difficult times to come.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

11. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you ...
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

13. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bless you for doing this. I don't think anyone would disagree with your decision, in my opinion it is without doubt the kindest and most appropriate way forward.....thinking of you, give Tess a gentle hug from us.XXX
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

15. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry -- and think you are taking a kind and loving approach. But it's such a tragic situation and understandably hard for you.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

17. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry it's such a hard thing to go thru , I lost my first cavalier to liver disease and made the same decisions . I selfishly wanted to keep him with me forever but once he started having more bad days than good we knew it was time . Enjoy ur cuddles and precious time together.

19. Thanks Emkaybee thanked for this post