Thread: New heart murmur

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default New heart murmur

My little Chesney is now just 6yrs old. I'm a dermatologist but underwent general medical training. Tonight I could detect a systolic murmur when I auscultated his chest. I have never picked it up before. I am very worried that this may be significant. I will contact the VET tomorrow and try and get him seen next week. I know that murmurs are very common in this breed and he is asymptomatic at present but I am very worried. Any further info would be helpful. He is otherwise fit and well and in the past he did suffer haemorrhagic gastroenteritis and responded very well to treatment. He is not overweight, has 1/2 tray of nature diet every day and milky biscuits as treats and he gets regular excerise, despite the dark nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you've heard a murmur. Unfortunately, this is very common in this wonderful breed. Contacting your vet is a good first step, but I would ask your vet for a referral to a cardiologist. They are the best to diagnose and treat heart problems. A cardiologist will most likely take an xray to see if the heart is enlarged and may also take a sonogram.

Let us know what your vet says. It's great that you are on top of this. This is the best you can do for Chesney.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

By age 6 years, statistics indicate that 60+% of all cavaliers will have a mitral valve murmur. Just about everything I know about MVD in the CKCS is contained in this article -- http://cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm -- and its related links.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

My Oliver was also diagnosed with a murmur when he was 6. He's now 12 years old, has a grade 3 murmur but no symptoms at all. Symptoms don't usually start appearing until the murmur becomes a grade 5, and like Oliver, Chesney may live a good long life without getting anywhere near a grade 5. All you can do is what you are doing - keep him fit and a good weight, but a visit to a cardiologist would be a good idea, so that you know exactly what is going on.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    My Oliver was also diagnosed with a murmur when he was 6. He's now 12 years old, has a grade 3 murmur but no symptoms at all. Symptoms don't usually start appearing until the murmur becomes a grade 5, and like Oliver, Chesney may live a good long life without getting anywhere near a grade 5. All you can do is what you are doing - keep him fit and a good weight, but a visit to a cardiologist would be a good idea, so that you know exactly what is going on.

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    Thank you for all of your comments. The VET agreed that Chesney has a grade 1/2 murmur, she offered two options, leave alone and regular check up or start a calcium channel antagonist to reduce the load on his heart. Opted for the tablets and regular check ups, he's been prescribed vetmedin 2.5mg bd. I am very anxious but trying to remain positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timclayton View Post
    The VET agreed that Chesney has a grade 1/2 murmur ... he's been prescribed vetmedin 2.5mg bd. ...
    I am a little stunned that a dog with a grade 1 to 2 murmur has been prescribed Vetmedin. I would NEVER give my dogs Vetmedin if they only had grade 2 murmurs and no symptoms. I consider the prescribing of Vetmedin to dogs at that stage of mitral valve disease to border upon veterinary malpractice.

In the US, the federal government's Food & Drug Administration has approved Vetmedin (generic name: pimobendan) ONLY for dogs in congestive heart failure, mainly because the drug has been shown the potential for doing more damage than good for dogs whose heart muscles are healthy enough to pump sufficiently. On the containers of the Vetmedin in the US is this WARNING: "Vetmedin should not be given in cases of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, aortic stenosis, or any other clinical condition where an augmentation of cardiac output is inappropriate for functional or anatomical reasons. ... Warnings: Only for use in dogs with clinical evidence of heart failure." See more about Vetmedin's unintended consequences and side effects at http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral...tm#A_Few_Words
    Rod Russell