Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

2. Thanks RodRussell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    appreciate all your comments. keeping my fingers crossed he remains well and off meds

Post Thanks / Like

I would echo what others have said - MVD drugs are given to deal with symptoms, so that the dog is kept as comfortable as possible, and to support the heart. No symptoms - no drugs are necessary. Symptoms don't usually appear until the heart reaches a Grade 4-5, congestive heart failure usually appears at around Grade 6. So your Cavalier is a long way off that and may never reach it. It's not a matter of, as your vet said, just keeping him going for a couple of years; your dog may have many years of more or less healthy, symptom-free life ahead of him, as my Oliver is still going strong after 6 years with a murmur and still only a grade 3 at 12 years old. I'm afraid it's all a bit of a lottery - some Cavaliers live for a long time with a mild murmur, others deteriorate quickly; I hope your boy is one of the former.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    I would echo what others have said - MVD drugs are given to deal with symptoms, so that the dog is kept as comfortable as possible, and to support the heart. No symptoms - no drugs are necessary. Symptoms don't usually appear until the heart reaches a Grade 4-5, congestive heart failure usually appears at around Grade 6. So your Cavalier is a long way off that and may never reach it. It's not a matter of, as your vet said, just keeping him going for a couple of years; your dog may have many years of more or less healthy, symptom-free life ahead of him, as my Oliver is still going strong after 6 years with a murmur and still only a grade 3 at 12 years old. I'm afraid it's all a bit of a lottery - some Cavaliers live for a long time with a mild murmur, others deteriorate quickly; I hope your boy is one of the former.

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    I like you comment!

I sometimes wish I had never have listened to his heart! he is my best friend