Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

2. Thanks RodRussell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    appreciate all your comments. keeping my fingers crossed he remains well and off meds

Post Thanks / Like

I would echo what others have said - MVD drugs are given to deal with symptoms, so that the dog is kept as comfortable as possible, and to support the heart. No symptoms - no drugs are necessary. Symptoms don't usually appear until the heart reaches a Grade 4-5, congestive heart failure usually appears at around Grade 6. So your Cavalier is a long way off that and may never reach it. It's not a matter of, as your vet said, just keeping him going for a couple of years; your dog may have many years of more or less healthy, symptom-free life ahead of him, as my Oliver is still going strong after 6 years with a murmur and still only a grade 3 at 12 years old. I'm afraid it's all a bit of a lottery - some Cavaliers live for a long time with a mild murmur, others deteriorate quickly; I hope your boy is one of the former.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    I would echo what others have said - MVD drugs are given to deal with symptoms, so that the dog is kept as comfortable as possible, and to support the heart. No symptoms - no drugs are necessary. Symptoms don't usually appear until the heart reaches a Grade 4-5, congestive heart failure usually appears at around Grade 6. So your Cavalier is a long way off that and may never reach it. It's not a matter of, as your vet said, just keeping him going for a couple of years; your dog may have many years of more or less healthy, symptom-free life ahead of him, as my Oliver is still going strong after 6 years with a murmur and still only a grade 3 at 12 years old. I'm afraid it's all a bit of a lottery - some Cavaliers live for a long time with a mild murmur, others deteriorate quickly; I hope your boy is one of the former.

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    I like you comment!

I sometimes wish I had never have listened to his heart! he is my best friend

Post Thanks / Like

Met some other cavaliers and their owners on the beach on holiday yesterday. They advised me that two of their previous cavaliers had murmurs and didnt live beyond six. They had a lovely 8 yrs old tricolour with a mild murmur. They asked me to look out for increased respiratory rate. Typical me I came in that evening after a great day in the beach and he was breathing fast. I had a very quick listen with my ear and his murmur is louder than before probably grade 5, it was still a grade 2/3 when he had his vaccination a month or two ago. Now I am desperately worried. I think I will have to go back to the vet and get him on the vetmedin, I'm wondering if I have left it too late. To everyone else in my family he is the same dog but I know now that he is a ticking time bomb and that I need to switch the timer off or slow it down. Any advise would be great, I am very worried.... Should, never have got chatting to those owners, should never have listened to his chest with my ear.....