Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vets that have knowledge on SM in the Solihull area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vets that have knowledge on SM in the Solihull area?

Ziggy was quite bad earlier on. Just before we fed him, he literately couldnt stand... In light of this we are worried about taking him to the vets we currently go to (Your vets, Solihull branch) and they keep fobbing us off with anti biotics for his ear. We are really sick of this. Can somone suggest a vet clinic in the Solihull area which do well with SM? That would be great.
    We have a few videos of Ziggy and his SM symptoms which il put below to give you an idea:

Post Thanks / Like

I do have more evidence on my phone of which I will take to the vet. We know about the Willows vet but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZigsBro View Post
    Ziggy was quite bad earlier on. Just before we fed him, he literately couldnt stand... In light of this we are worried about taking him to the vets we currently go to (Your vets, Solihull branch) and they keep fobbing us off with anti biotics for his ear. We are really sick of this. Can somone suggest a vet clinic in the Solihull area which do well with SM? That would be great.
    We have a few videos of Ziggy and his SM symptoms which il put below to give you an idea:
    I will send you a PM about this as I cannot say what I need to on a public Forum.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

The Willows in Highland Road is a referral veterinary hospital, which means that your present vets would have to refer you there, but one of their neurologists, Sebastien Behr, is very clued up about CM/SM; his research subject is cerebral-spinal fluid. I haven't needed to take either of my two to him for their CM/SM, as they are pretty stable at the moment and our local vet keeps a good eye on them, but Sebastien is treating Aled's myoclonus and inevitably CM/SM comes into our conversations!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS Sorry, have just reread your posts and seen that you alredy know about the Willows!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    The Willows in Highland Road is a referral veterinary hospital, which means that your present vets would have to refer you there, but one of their neurologists, Sebastien Behr, is very clued up about CM/SM; his research subject is cerebral-spinal fluid. I haven't needed to take either of my two to him for their CM/SM, as they are pretty stable at the moment and our local vet keeps a good eye on them, but Sebastien is treating Aled's myoclonus and inevitably CM/SM comes into our conversations!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS Sorry, have just reread your posts and seen that you alredy know about the Willows!
    We messaged The Willows on Facebook to ask about Ziggy and the probability of it being SM and they came back and said it sounds probable and that we should try to get a referral. (Progress?) As we speak right now it appears that Ziggy has anal gland issues now which is rather strange because he had his anal glands expelled only a month ago. So as a result, we will be going to the vets tomorrow to put everything including the SM to bed. Heres whats really strange, about 5 minutes ago, he got off the bed (he is sleeping with me toninght because he needs to keep going outside to toilet every 30 minutes or so) and got up and sat next to the fake fire and started crying at his reflection in it (its a fake fire with a glass door). Ziggy has never ever done anything like this ever. Really abnormal behaviour for him. He litrarely sat with his face directly in the glass pane door on the fire and started crying as if it was a door (he knows perfectly well it is not a door for going outside)

Maybe just an odd moment of randomness? I have video footage of this. It wasnt on or anything so it wasnt giving out heat which is even more bizarre for him to go over to it.

Post Thanks / Like

One loooooonnnnngggggg night later and its now morning!

Ziggy did some more strange things in the night. For example, at about 3am he got up and went to the front door and cried (he never ever does this and he never uses the front door for anything) as if he wanted to go out which is really strange. Its like he literately lost his mind slightly... The same day before all this he did collapse off of his feet about 3 or 4 times. Related? Really weird. Past 8AM he stopped going out and is now sleeping in a cool spot underneath the table.

Il just elaborate on his anal gland issues incase they could be linked in some sort of impossible way. He basically keeps feeling like he needs the toilet and goes out and strains for a poo but nothing comes out. After about 4am he started to have diarrhea and that was it pretty much. Cant think of anything he could have eaten to make him bad. Hes on Chappy (the hard food type. We switched him from James Well Beloved last year and his bowels have thanked him for it since) incase that matters.

Anyways, thats the update so far.

Post Thanks / Like

We have just got back from the vets and we have finally managed to get a referral! Im so happy! (Dont get me wrong im absolutely distraught hes got this horrible neurological disorder but im thrilled we can atleast make a start on doing something about it)

We went to our branch at Your Vets and managed to get one of the senior vets there to check him out and she thinks that our best bet is a referral to The Willows. We need to get in touch with the insurer streight away to confirm it with them (it says that in the Ts and Cs) which we are doing right now so we can get all this sorted ASAP.

Anyway, Il keep you all updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wonder if the trouble at the 'other end' could be caused by an anal abscess. One of my dogs had one a year or two back and it does sound a little similar. She needed a course of antibiotics.

The other things you mention are likely to be caused by neuropathic pain of some sort. None of us are neurologists here, but many of us do have experience of the several conditions in our dogs which can cause this. The Willows will probably run tests to determine the cause. Good luck when you take up the referral appointment.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Flo!

Heres another video we have which was took just before going into the vets:

We shal show this to the neurologist at The Willows

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone!
    Ziggy had another really bad night, poor soul. Bloody diarrhea like last night (he did have it the night before which we did mention to the vets but they thought it might be just something he ate) so we have another appointment for him today. Last night he had quite a few SM symptoms like digging at the ground and lying with his bum in the air with his ear to the floor as if he was itching it (might have been a playing thing but I doubt it in the state he was in last night).

He also just did a really weird walk which im uploading as we speak. We have another vets appointment for the back end later on.

Oops! Forgot to press the post button! Well we have just gotten back from the vets and we have good news on the backside front. It turns out so far as far as we know its gastro irritation due to a bug of some sort which is rather strange because he hasnt gone for any walks in over a month... Strange but still... Maybe he got it in the garden or something. He was given an injection and tablets to ease and fight off the irritation. I have seen an improvement with him already so thats a start!

I sound like a bit of a zombie in the video because I my self have just gotten over the glorious mixture of Flu, sinusitis and an ear infection, mixed with no sleep for two nights. (haha)

Anyways, Il keep you all posted! Thanks to all for all the support. Such a great community.