Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Vets that have knowledge on SM in the Solihull area?

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed on your video that you have a wooden floor - these can be quite easy for dogs to slip on and pull a muscle, and dogs will walk cautiously on them if they have a painful leg. Crate rest will usually sort it out - it may appear on and off because it's better when Ziggy has been resting it. I'm puzzled as to why Stephanie thinks a 3-4 heart murmur makes taking Lyrica problematic - that isn't a particularly serious level of murmur unless there are added complications, and I know several Cavaliers with that level of murmur who have taken Lyrica without any problems. Since Stephanie is a neurologist, it might be useful at some point to take Ziggy to a cardiologist to check out his heart.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    I noticed on your video that you have a wooden floor - these can be quite easy for dogs to slip on and pull a muscle, and dogs will walk cautiously on them if they have a painful leg. Crate rest will usually sort it out - it may appear on and off because it's better when Ziggy has been resting it. I'm puzzled as to why Stephanie thinks a 3-4 heart murmur makes taking Lyrica problematic - that isn't a particularly serious level of murmur unless there are added complications, and I know several Cavaliers with that level of murmur who have taken Lyrica without any problems. Since Stephanie is a neurologist, it might be useful at some point to take Ziggy to a cardiologist to check out his heart.

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    Rebel used to see Emily Dutton at Willows, who is a Board Certified Cardiologist.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Hey both!
    Didnt want to reply for a few days as I wanted to see what was up with his legs. His scratching has gotten worse, hes doing it about 3 or 4 times a session now and he usually has 3 sessions a day of this scratching. He also shoots his head round to his back legs and bites them after said scratching too. His limping has moved to any leg on his body now and rather than limping its turned into slipping and sliding on any of the legs . Sometimes its on wooden floors, sometimes its on carpet. We have tried making sure he rests incase it was something else but to no avail. Wel ring Stephanie and see what we can do about this. RE to the Lyrica, im not sure if she ment that but it does ring a bell about her mentioning it, so wel ask her about that to confirm.
    Wel let you know how we get on!

Post Thanks / Like

Umm... We just rang Stephanie only to be told by a receptionist that she has left and they have no idea when she might be back. So im not exactly sure whats going to heppen rom this point on but they said wed have any neurologist ring us back. Bit worrying to be honest as Stephanie knew *everything* about Ziggys treatment and how he has progressed/regressed under different scenarios. Anyway, will let you know when we get a call

Post Thanks / Like

Ask to talk to Sebastien Behr - he looks after Aled's myoclonus but from the way he talks obviously knows a lot about CM/SM. He's a European certified neurologist and his research speciality is cerebral spinal fluid. He's very good at phone consultations!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it was meant to be, Kate! We had a call back around 3 or 5 hours later and none other than Sebastien himself rang up. He gave us a terrific phone consultation and told us to up the dosage to 1 full a day to see his symptoms improve! This was fantastic news as he did so so well on a full steroid. So far so good! His symptoms which hes been declining with are starting to go already. So all is good as of now! We are going for a weeks holiday this week so thats just in time, itl be nice to spend some time with him being well down here this time (Hopefully! )

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that worked out - and hope you have a better holiday this time, with no alarums and excursions!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So glad that you got a call back from Sebastian. I have heard good things about him too.

Let's hope that Ziggy and you have a good family holiday without any symptoms flaring up again.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Well, its been a few days now and hes been on his new dose for a good while now. He is once again making a marvellous amount of progress once again. Lovely to see him so comfortable! He was actually able to go out on a few walks these past few days which is something we havent been able to do since last year (properly). He actually managed a full walk without collapsing and whining in pain which was amazing to see! He throughly enjoyed his walk and he is getting better nights and he has even played with us! He hasnt played with his toys or us for ages now, but he has been playing, chewing his bone properly without it leading to paw licking and hes just a lot more happy in general.
    Hes just so much better on this dose! Only now I hope his stomach doesnt start to play him up again.

His vibes have improved, hes happier, his eyes arent red, the big thunderstorm we had down here in Hereford didnt bother him at all (which the pressure usually would).

Good stuff, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad Ziggy is doing so well. People are reluctant to use steroids because of long-term side effects but sometimes the help now outweighs the possible problems in the future - you can't leave a dog in pain because of some future possibility. It's lovely you've got the real Ziggy back - have a great holiday with lots of walks and games

Kate, Oliver and Aled

11. Likes Margaret C liked this post