Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Vets that have knowledge on SM in the Solihull area?

Post Thanks / Like

The Companion Cavalier Club held an excellent Health Seminar in late 2014. One of the speakers was Clare Rusbridge on the results of the latest CM/SM research and treatments. This very good talk is now available as a DVD from the Cavalier Matters online shop: http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/compan.../prod_684.html A very good thing to hand out to ignorant vets - I think a lot of them were given it for Christmas!

I think we all feel like ranting from time to time! Both CM/SM and heart disease can be bred away from if human beings would bother to test their dogs and take them out of their breeding programme if they test positive for these diseases. I hope you have signed the petition asking the Kennel Club to make health testing mandatory of parents before they will register Cavalier puppies: https://www.change.org/p/the-kennel-...d-heart-tested Have a look at the Cavaliers are Special Facebook page, which has hundreds of comments from people who have signed the petition. 23,000 signatures so far.

And you might enjoy (but also be moved by) this latest video from the campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL2NhnhOcNM

Kate and Ruby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was so very sorry to read that you had lost your precious Ziggy I had the pleasure of meeting you, 'Mum' and Ziggy at the summer party, and was so impressed with your loving care for Ziggy.

thank you for giving him a wonderful life and doing your very best for him. I'm thrilled that his journey has led you into helping rescues and maybe even into a career working with animals, that's an incredible legacy for Ziggy to leave.

i have had 9 Cavaliers now with CM/SM (two CM only), sadly I've been told that for some of them, in a 'normal' home, their symptoms would not have been identified so they would have suffered for years

the amazing charity, www.cavaliermatters.org is doing its very best to raise awareness, amongst numerous other projects, perhaps you could contact Tania if this is an area where you would like to help?
    Nicki, Tommy and Daisy (Shih Tzu )
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Nicki, it was a pleasure meeting you all! Im definitely going to look into seeing what I can do to raise awareness, (hopefully Il have some more time to do so soon) as we think this is key in many many ways to help the breed in general. Hopefully, the more people we educate about it; the harder it will be for the Kennel Club to carry on lying and for the breeders to keep on breeding the way they are...I will definitely look into Cavalier Matters, they seem to be very clued up and have a good sense of direction. That DVD is an excellent idea, Kate! Really hope the petition actually reaches (and surpasses) 25k, the more pressure the better!

Post Thanks / Like

We're having a Companion Club meet-up for coffee at Crufts on the Saturday,12 March, meeting at the Cavalier Matters stand in Hall 5 and going across the hall to a cafe. It would be great if you could join us. It would also be an opportunity to meet Tania, the director of Cavalier Matters, who will be on the CM stand. Some of us will be staying until late afternoon to watch the Obreedience finals - an obedience competition for teams of four dogs from breeds that don't usually do competition obedience. There's a team of Cavaliers in the final, so we shall cheer them on!

I'll be doing the Coventry Walkathon again this year to raise funds for Cavalier Matters. It's one round of the Memorial Park (1.75 miles - well, you can do more than one round, but my feet won't!) and I organise a JustGiving page for sponsorship/donations. Last year we made 300, but with more people doing the walk and asking their family and friends to help we should be able to raise more this year. It's on Sunday, 15 May, starting at 10am.

And finally you might be interested in the health seminar that the Cavalier Club are running on 6 March at the Manor Hotel, close to Coventry on the A45. There are top speakers on heart disease, CM/SM, pancreatitis and breeding. It costs 30 but that includes all the talks and lunch. If you're interested, you can get a ticket from the Cavalier Club website www.thecavalierclub.co.uk I think you would find it interesting, and meet some people with similar views to yours!

It's great that you are turning your sadness and anger over Ziggy into positive working to rescue the Cavalier breed. Neither of my boys died as a result of their CM/SM: Oliver was 13 and had had a full life, but for various reasons the quality had gone from it; but Aled was only 7 when he suffered from heart failure - it was too young and could have been avoided with careful breeding. Most Cavalier owners with experience of CM/SM and MVD turn into crusaders!

Look forward to meeting you again some time,

Kate and Ruby
    Last edited by Kate H; 17th February 2016 at 03:26 PM.