• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vets that have knowledge on SM in the Solihull area?

Hi

Out of curiosity what dose of steroids are you giving. Mine had them last year and quickly (as fast as we could!) had to reduce due to blood results. Looking at going back on very small dose again. My baby managed to get relief from 1/2 of 5mg pred every other day. Only did symptoms come back when went to quarter.

I don't know what dose Ziggy is on, but my Riley has been on prednisone since her SM surgery almost 6 years ago. It's been the only medication that has any effect on her symptoms even post-op. She started at 10 mg/day, was weaned to 5 mg/day and stayed there for about 4 years, then she was at 2.5 mg/day until about six months ago when we weaned her to 1 mg/day. The entire time she has been taking prednisone she has also been on Denamarin to protect her liver. She has her liver enzymes checked every 4-6 months and they have always been perfect. She still has symptoms but they don't seem to bother her. They bother me more than her if the truth be told. She is such a trooper. She is like the Energizer Bunny - she just keeps on going. She doesn't let anything keep her down.

Yeah we thought we would do the same re the gabapentin. Interesting about the steroids! Never knew that, thanks for clearing that up :) .

We do indeed live in the midlands! That club sounds very interesting, my family and Ziggy will have to look into this for one of the days!

as to what steroids he is on, he's currently taking 1 Prednisolone 5mg every day.

We went to see Stephanie 2 days ago and she was satisfied with how he is! She said before the steroids, he was a severe case of CM/SM. She said we are going to put him on half and see how dependent he is on the steroids. We are 2 days in on half a tablet and so far so good!

We have noticed now that symptoms are starting to ease there way back in again after halving his steroids :( . Hes paw licking again, shaking his head again, sensitive to touch in some areas of his body (which is a new thing, never had that before), more head rubbing and eye squinting. Eyes havent been red yet so thats a start! I personally dont think we should keep him on this dose, he was so much more comfortable on the full tablet of one steroid. Wel see how he goes over the coming days and contact Stephanie.

Some dogs do need some level of steroids for the pain -- but there are many things that can be tried instead, going through Dr Rusbridge's treatment algorithm. Your neurologist may wish to try pulling him off steroids gradually then introduce an NSAID -- they aren't given at the same time as steroids, usually, as they can be hard on the stomach in combination. Clare has a couple of suggested NSAIDS for pain on her algorithm.

It's such a complex disease to treat, which is the problem, partly because each dog's symptoms and reactions to treatment is different to most of the others. Then it is an ever changing and progressive set of symptoms. Put the two together and it amazes me that any of the dogs are ever comfortable and stable. Air pressure can have such a huge influence too and we all know how quickly and how greatly that can vary from hour to hour, so is it any wonder that pain breaks through from time to time.

I think it might be best if you 'phone Stephanie, as she may be able to tweak dosages of the drugs you already have to make Ziggy more comfortable. I have found with Rebel that the longer you leave a breakthrough the worse it can get. Strangely enough, although Rebel's symptoms are very different to Ziggy's, things have been so good for him lately that I have been able to reduce his dosage to the bare minimum, but I am watching the air pressure very carefully because things may well change with the today's forecast in the weather.

Definitely, ByFlo. The symptoms that were once a thing of the past are now starting to creep back in on his lower steroid dose. I have caught him doing his fly catching also:

Hes also gone back to violently scratch at his ear and limping, really obsessive paw licking and sometimes (like last night) his eyes were slightly reed and both eyes were in completely different directions to each other (is that related?) . Im not getting the comfortable vibe from him that I was getting before which is a bit of a worry. Thing is, the steroids once a day every day was basically a cure for him, his symptoms were basically none existing but unfortunately, we went to our family caravan on Friday and in a matter of hours he started violent diarrhoea. That was fine, but then on the second lot and from then on it was bloody diarrhoea. it got to a point where his back legs were covered in blood which was pretty horrifying, ofcorse, seeing this we rang the local vets around there (they were smashing and actually KNEW about SM!!) and we had an appointment within an hour of ringing. Soon after that, the vet said the sterroids hes on could be causing some issues with his stomach which is a little weird as we havent had trouble before, but hey. She also said it could be some random bug and she put him on some anti biotics and that did the trick.

Ever since his rear end has been completely fine. She said to contact The Willows about what just happened and to tell the secretary to pass on the information to Stephanie. So we rang the Willows and told them about his severe bloody back end and the secretary said shed pass the info on. We said to make sure she rang in the afternoon on Monday to make sure we were around when she rang. So Money came and we got back in the afternoon to a phone message... She rang at 11PM when we were out and said: "I hear Ziggy has a little bit of an issue with his bottom, blah blah blah and if its bloody you can withdraw the steroids for up to 48 hours to see if that solves the problem" Now this isnt Stephanies fault, the person we spoke to on the phone didnt really sound like she was listening when we told her to stress the severity of his situation... Maybe im reading into it too much, but I dont think she got the whole story passed on to her? Hope we didnt waste too much of her time as a result! We have yet to ring her as we are doing as she said to give him one half every other day after a while of the half a day dosage. So we are doing that now and the vets on holiday also said to do that and to contact her later this week. So wel do that and see how things go from here!

Anyway, thats where we are at right now!

Hi all!
Well, Ziggy has just had some sort of really bad pain attack? Im really unsure. He started face rubbing and face pawing and then really violent fly catching (?) . Before that, the left of his legs sort of kept collapsing which was making him limp. Before the weird fly catching, he had a small amount of soft chicken with absolutely no bones mashed up slightly for him. he was fine for about 10 minutes after eating it (which probably means its completely unrelated) and then he started doing it and it didnt stop for a good 15 minutes or so.

Hate to say it but this may be an effect of lowering the dose of steroids. With luck his body will adjust to the lower dose, but steroids are always a matter of balancing good effect on pain with bad side effects. Hope he's better today and you can enjoy your holiday!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hate to say it but this may be an effect of lowering the dose of steroids. With luck his body will adjust to the lower dose, but steroids are always a matter of balancing good effect on pain with bad side effects. Hope he's better today and you can enjoy your holiday!

Kate, Oliver and Aled
Yeah thats what we thought, Kate! We came back a few days, I think we might have stayed a little longer as my Dad could have commuted but I ended up falling ill at the end anyway, so we ended up going back. Oh the joys of winter! :lol:

Anyway, since the runs, he has had several solid bowel movements, all back to normal! The SM symptoms are still crawling back in, but atleast the latter has gone. We rang up Stephanie today to see what to do from here and she said to put him back up to half a steroid a day rather than what we are doing now which is every other day.
He has been pretty bad today aswell :( in the morning, he was sitting there and just being perfectly normal then all of a sudden his head jolted (really violently) to his back left leg and started really violently biting his back legs repeatedly and you could see him shaking and everything as he did it. This particular episode lasted about 5+ seconds. Then later on in the afternoon he did it again but worse and for slightly longer.

Also more footage of the "fly catching" caught last night after him limping quite badly then face rubbing: (this is just for researchers or anyone that might be interested in this kind of footage for diagnosis)

Last edited:
Are Ziggy's anal glands OK? Oliver was yelping this morning and biting at his rear end. He had an anal gland infection a few weeks ago and we thought it had cleared up after a course of antibiotics but obviously we should have kept on with them because now he has a really severe infection and he is not a happy dog. Odd, really, because before this year he's never had anal gland problems, just had them emptied twice a year, so it may be an old age thing.

Sorry your holiday wasn't a great success!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Yeah Ziggy had a thourghal examination of his anal glands to ensure they weren't infected and she drained them too so it does appear to be ok at the moment but I suppose that may still be a possibility!
Its a bit sad really that it could be the steroids as he was so so good on the 1 a day tablet dosage. He just seems very down, just a bit morbid really, just not himself. When we rang Stephanie she didnt seem all that hopeful as to other alternatives on medication etc. Although she can be a little brief on the phone sometimes so maybe she might be able to pull something out the bag on our next appointment (which hasnt been booked yet, so wel see how he goes on the half every day one again) as a few others on this thread have suggested, maybe some NSAIDS might be good? I suppose every dog reacts differently to meds. She did say we could higher up the Gabapentin up by 1 at some point in the day but it seems the Gabapentin doesnt do too much for him and just takes a select few symptoms away and then just makes him sleep more. Today when we got in the house, he didnt even wake up he was in that much of a deep sleep, so it wouldnt be ideal as he does already spend a lot of his time sleeping now as a result of the meds hes on. Stephanie also said that highering the Gabapentin dose wouldnt be ideal due to it doping him up a bit too much which it already does a bit. Anyway, wel see how he goes on the current dose of steroids and Gabapentin and if things start to decline or stay similar to how they have been wel book an appointment with Stephanie and see what can be done.

Anyway, wel let you know of any updates! :)

Personally I would suggest to Stephanie that Gabapentin should be changed to Lyrica, which is often much more effective for those dogs not suited to Gabapentin. Rebel is a dog who does well with Gabapentin. He is awake and fully alert for a good proportion of the day, bearing in mind that he will be 12 in November and should be expected to be less active and sleep more than a much younger dog like Ziggy. Rebel also has his mind in the right place, illustrated by his total control over policing the activities of the 3 younger dogs, so I feel we are right in using the Gabapentin.

I have just been looking up Lyrica and it sounds like it might work but what about Ziggys heart? I know his murmor has gotten worse since we had him diagnosed with heart condition. So Im not sure thats an option as I do remember Stephanie mentioning an alternate gabapentin and saying that we couldnt put him on it because of his heart :( whether she meant lyrica im not sure. The extra dose of steroids dont seem to being doing all that much either which isnt very good and a little worrying. Hes also starting to show new symptoms which seem to be sticking with him. For the past 3 days hes been doing this limping walk around the house which seems to be every day :( . Followed by paw licking and such. Hes still doing his limping now, its been an hour now and its starting to ease up:

I suppose we do need a bit more time yet for the steroids to kick in. I do hope they start to do something soon as he looks so fed up :c

That looks more like a pulled muscle that Ziggy doesn't want to put weight on. Oliver's SM related lameness (in the same front leg) was more lack of nerve power that made him stumble when he tried to put weight on it - Ziggy's looks quite different. Oliver does still occasionally limp but it's almost always because he has a hard lump of mud, a conifer seed or a small stone caught right up between his pads. What grade heart murmur has Ziggy got?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

That looks more like a pulled muscle that Ziggy doesn't want to put weight on. Oliver's SM related lameness (in the same front leg) was more lack of nerve power that made him stumble when he tried to put weight on it - Ziggy's looks quite different. Oliver does still occasionally limp but it's almost always because he has a hard lump of mud, a conifer seed or a small stone caught right up between his pads. What grade heart murmur has Ziggy got?

Kate, Oliver and Aled
Hi Kate! His heart murmor is grade 3 (might be 3-4, she diagnosed him with a heart murmur in December and then I *think* It got worse since, not entirely sure though) so im not sure exactly where we stand from that point of view but il definitely suggest it none the less. As to the possibility of being a pulled muscle, I had never thought of that! but one thing though, hes been doing it on and off over a peroid of a few days which is kind of weird for a pulled muscle. Not sure what that means? But you do certainly make a good point about the fact that it would be more weakness rather than what hes experiencing.

I agree with Kate about Ziggy's limp. It doesn't look at all like Riley's weakness from SM either. Ziggy looks like he has a sprained ankle. Riley's is more of a collapsing when her SM is affecting her. Hopefully he's a bit better by now. Have you tried resting him - no jumping, no walks, etc?

Try a few days cage rest, i.e. out for meals and toileting and resting in the cage for the remainder. Not easy but it may solve the problem.

Hi both! Hes quite a bit better today! He limped a tiny bit yesterday but he seems a bit better today which makes a nice change. Must have been a dodgey ankle or something. What puzzles me is that he doesnt go out for walks anymore as he just cant walk for more than around a minute without crying and just stopping (I think its to do with both the heart and SM). One thing however he does do, is we have quite a long hall... And our road is cat city, Ziggy isnt fond of cats so he just throws himself (literally) all the way down the hall and puts his breaks on just before the door! :lol: So maybe he did that when we were out and sprained something by crashing into the door because of his poor judgement now? I suppose anything around the likes of that is possible.

Just weird that it lasted for around an hour at a time. Anyways, all is good at the moment! We went up in the loft to sort something out and discovered a nice big foam bed we bought for a foster greyhound we had a while back, so we folded it in half and put it in the kitchen where he now sleeps and he seems to be sleeping better which is good to see!
Il let you folks know of any more.

Back