Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Vets that have knowledge on SM in the Solihull area?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Out of curiosity what dose of steroids are you giving. Mine had them last year and quickly (as fast as we could!) had to reduce due to blood results. Looking at going back on very small dose again. My baby managed to get relief from 1/2 of 5mg pred every other day. Only did symptoms come back when went to quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what dose Ziggy is on, but my Riley has been on prednisone since her SM surgery almost 6 years ago. It's been the only medication that has any effect on her symptoms even post-op. She started at 10 mg/day, was weaned to 5 mg/day and stayed there for about 4 years, then she was at 2.5 mg/day until about six months ago when we weaned her to 1 mg/day. The entire time she has been taking prednisone she has also been on Denamarin to protect her liver. She has her liver enzymes checked every 4-6 months and they have always been perfect. She still has symptoms but they don't seem to bother her. They bother me more than her if the truth be told. She is such a trooper. She is like the Energizer Bunny - she just keeps on going. She doesn't let anything keep her down.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

3. Thanks germarey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah we thought we would do the same re the gabapentin. Interesting about the steroids! Never knew that, thanks for clearing that up .

We do indeed live in the midlands! That club sounds very interesting, my family and Ziggy will have to look into this for one of the days!

as to what steroids he is on, he's currently taking 1 Prednisolone 5mg every day.

Post Thanks / Like

We went to see Stephanie 2 days ago and she was satisfied with how he is! She said before the steroids, he was a severe case of CM/SM. She said we are going to put him on half and see how dependent he is on the steroids. We are 2 days in on half a tablet and so far so good!

6. Likes Margaret C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have noticed now that symptoms are starting to ease there way back in again after halving his steroids . Hes paw licking again, shaking his head again, sensitive to touch in some areas of his body (which is a new thing, never had that before), more head rubbing and eye squinting. Eyes havent been red yet so thats a start! I personally dont think we should keep him on this dose, he was so much more comfortable on the full tablet of one steroid. Wel see how he goes over the coming days and contact Stephanie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some dogs do need some level of steroids for the pain -- but there are many things that can be tried instead, going through Dr Rusbridge's treatment algorithm. Your neurologist may wish to try pulling him off steroids gradually then introduce an NSAID -- they aren't given at the same time as steroids, usually, as they can be hard on the stomach in combination. Clare has a couple of suggested NSAIDS for pain on her algorithm.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's such a complex disease to treat, which is the problem, partly because each dog's symptoms and reactions to treatment is different to most of the others. Then it is an ever changing and progressive set of symptoms. Put the two together and it amazes me that any of the dogs are ever comfortable and stable. Air pressure can have such a huge influence too and we all know how quickly and how greatly that can vary from hour to hour, so is it any wonder that pain breaks through from time to time.

I think it might be best if you 'phone Stephanie, as she may be able to tweak dosages of the drugs you already have to make Ziggy more comfortable. I have found with Rebel that the longer you leave a breakthrough the worse it can get. Strangely enough, although Rebel's symptoms are very different to Ziggy's, things have been so good for him lately that I have been able to reduce his dosage to the bare minimum, but I am watching the air pressure very carefully because things may well change with the today's forecast in the weather.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely, ByFlo. The symptoms that were once a thing of the past are now starting to creep back in on his lower steroid dose. I have caught him doing his fly catching also:

Hes also gone back to violently scratch at his ear and limping, really obsessive paw licking and sometimes (like last night) his eyes were slightly reed and both eyes were in completely different directions to each other (is that related?) . Im not getting the comfortable vibe from him that I was getting before which is a bit of a worry. Thing is, the steroids once a day every day was basically a cure for him, his symptoms were basically none existing but unfortunately, we went to our family caravan on Friday and in a matter of hours he started violent diarrhoea. That was fine, but then on the second lot and from then on it was bloody diarrhoea. it got to a point where his back legs were covered in blood which was pretty horrifying, ofcorse, seeing this we rang the local vets around there (they were smashing and actually KNEW about SM!!) and we had an appointment within an hour of ringing. Soon after that, the vet said the sterroids hes on could be causing some issues with his stomach which is a little weird as we havent had trouble before, but hey. She also said it could be some random bug and she put him on some anti biotics and that did the trick.

Ever since his rear end has been completely fine. She said to contact The Willows about what just happened and to tell the secretary to pass on the information to Stephanie. So we rang the Willows and told them about his severe bloody back end and the secretary said shed pass the info on. We said to make sure she rang in the afternoon on Monday to make sure we were around when she rang. So Money came and we got back in the afternoon to a phone message... She rang at 11PM when we were out and said: "I hear Ziggy has a little bit of an issue with his bottom, blah blah blah and if its bloody you can withdraw the steroids for up to 48 hours to see if that solves the problem" Now this isnt Stephanies fault, the person we spoke to on the phone didnt really sound like she was listening when we told her to stress the severity of his situation... Maybe im reading into it too much, but I dont think she got the whole story passed on to her? Hope we didnt waste too much of her time as a result! We have yet to ring her as we are doing as she said to give him one half every other day after a while of the half a day dosage. So we are doing that now and the vets on holiday also said to do that and to contact her later this week. So wel do that and see how things go from here!

Anyway, thats where we are at right now!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all!
    Well, Ziggy has just had some sort of really bad pain attack? Im really unsure. He started face rubbing and face pawing and then really violent fly catching (?) . Before that, the left of his legs sort of kept collapsing which was making him limp. Before the weird fly catching, he had a small amount of soft chicken with absolutely no bones mashed up slightly for him. he was fine for about 10 minutes after eating it (which probably means its completely unrelated) and then he started doing it and it didnt stop for a good 15 minutes or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to say it but this may be an effect of lowering the dose of steroids. With luck his body will adjust to the lower dose, but steroids are always a matter of balancing good effect on pain with bad side effects. Hope he's better today and you can enjoy your holiday!

Kate, Oliver and Aled