• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

food and weight questions

Virginia

We adopted our two girls in July at 14 months old and at the time they weighed 14 and 16 pounds. The little one now weighs 17 and looks like quite a porker now and her "sister" weights 18. I have never had small dogs before and did some research on how much to feed based on their weight. Right now I am feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream 2/3 cup in the am and 2/3 cup pm. I admit I probably was giving them too many treats at first. I want to do the right thing and would love to know your thoughts on the best food and how much they really need to eat.

Help!

Virginia

Right now I am feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream 2/3 cup in the am and 2/3 cup pm. I admit I probably was giving them too many treats at first. I want to do the right thing and would love to know your thoughts on the best food and how much they really need to eat.

Hi Virginia -

I have two small chins and one CKC. Can only speak from my experience, but my 21 lb CKC does not need much food although he WANTS it. I feed 1/3 cup dry with a little wet in the morning and similar amount in the evenings. He gets a few treats through the week, and if we have extra chicken /table scraps, he will get some of that. He also loves raw carrots and apples or any veggie I am chopping up. He is walked three times a day, about 15 -20 minutes each time, and plays with the chins in the yard for about 15 -20 minutes each day, and Chins are fast so he runs. I should also mention that he is 2 years old.

I had been feeding 1 cup dry per day (1/2 cup AM and 1/2 Cup PM) and some wet, but he was putting on the weight. I decreased just a little bit and exercised a bit more, and he looks fine now. Believe it or not, my chin eat about the same as him, are 1/2 his size, and are slim. He always acts like he is starving and its hard to not cave to those big brown eyes, but the extra weight is not good for him as he has patella problems.

I would try cutting back slightly in the morning and evening as 2/3 each feeding sounds like a lot to me. Check with your vet as well.

Joan

We were in a similar situation with our cavalier- Charlie. We were feeding him 1/2 cup in the am and 1/2 cup at night as well as too many treats. Charlie weighed 16 back in April and a month ago the vet weighed him at 19. We immediately reduced the intake at 1/3 cup in the morning and 1/3 at night and he gets maybe one treat a day. I have already noticed him getting leaner. I think if you cut down to about 3/4 cup or even 2/3 the weight will certainly come off. Btw his food is Orijen and so are his treats. It has a lot of protein and less carbs. He loves it:) Your cavs will bounce back into shape in no time:)

thank you for your reply. I can see I am feeding too much! We had to board them both for five nights and they came back looking fatter than ever… MUST get this under control ASAP

thank you for your reply. I can see I am feeding too much! We had to board them both for five nights and they came back looking fatter than ever… MUST get this under control ASAP

Don't stress -- just cut back very gradually and you will see a difference over time. It took Bosco about 6 months to lose 3 lbs, which is about 10% of his body weight. He's about 21 lbs now and maintaining his weight, which is appropriate for him and the vet is happy -- and I am too!

Back