• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spaying at a very young age

Remali

First off, I will say that I prefer to wait until they are closer to a year old for spay/neuter (taking into account exceptions due to health issues of course, and each individual dog). I got a new pup last month, she is now 3 months old, but she was spayed extremely young, at just 8 weeks.

I recently lost my beloved Cavalier Bentley to CHF and Cushings on September 19th, I am still upset and heartbroken, Bentley was my whole world and we had a such a close bond, I had never known such a loving and devoted dog. Some wonderful friends got me in touch with someone who had half Cavalier puppies (the other half is Poodle/Yorkie, the puppies were an "oops" litter as a result of Mom getting loose while at someone's house and meeting up with the dog next door, the owner raised all the puppies and found all of them very good homes). I saw Maddie (my new puppy) and it was love. She is such a good girl, catches on so quickly, is very calm and settled in so well it was as if she was born here. But, due to her very early spay, at the tender age of just 8 weeks, I am rather concerned about her growth as a result, and I am wondering also about urinary incontinence, she does piddle quite often. I put puppy pads down for her, I am not worried about messes on my carpet, but I am concerned about incontinence and any other health issues/growth issues as a result of spaying so young. Anyone have any thoughts or information on this?

Here is my new baby girl...

MaddieDec220131_zpsda10747c.jpg

She is a muffin. I read a bunch of things about very early neutering. Some studies says there were not ill effects, but I am not sure. I do know it is being done this early more and more by shelters or groups/organizations that's main concern is the animal overpopulation. Honestly I kind of agree with it, I know its rather extreme but so the problem of having homeless pets. Personally, I would not spend a lot of time worrying about it. Not like you can really change it now. I think it is something you might want to question your vet about on the chance you need to be on the lookout for things as she continues to get older. Furthermore, I am thinking since she is a mixed breed you are going to have a really hard time guesstimating what her "normal" size/growth as a puppy.

Thanks Melissa. You know, you brought up a really good point... like you say, being a mixed breed, I won't really know what is normal growth for her.
So far she is happy and active, and a sweetie pie. I imagine all will go well, but I was so very concerned about spaying at such a young age. I do understand why shelters/rescues would spay/neuter at a young age.

Back in the mid-1990s, we had a cavalier that was castrated at 9 weeks. It was not our choice. AKC had just recognized the CKCS, and our breeder feared possible abuse of using her puppies for breeding AKC-only litters, for which there were (and still are) no ethical constraints. As best we could determine, the health consequences were (or could have been), a weedier and taller dog (14+ inches) with slightly bad hips. The hips could have been bad anyway, but that was not expected, considering the testing and ratings of the parents' hips.

Hi Renee,
Oh she is just so lovely - i could just pick her up for a snug. What a darling. Im looking forward to seeing pictures of her as she grows up - it will be really interesting to see how she grows and what traits she takes on. On the main point, we did have Teddy done at 24 weeks. It was advised by both the breeder and the vet. In hindsight and after reading more about it, I sort of wish we had waited a little longer, but to be honest I am yet to see any adverse affects of this. He is a good size, he does have longer limbs than Megan had but then again meg was a stocky little soul with cotton bobbins for legs. He also has a bladder control that would rival a human. He can go for hours without wanting to wee, and then all of a sudden he has the urge and there is no stopping him, but he is very good and always asks to go out if we are inside home. But when he was Maddies age he was still going for a wee an awful lot, on the hour, every hour for a while, so it could be just her age or maybe she a little water infection possibly? Only a thought?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, you've put my mind at ease. She's happy and healthy and running around daily playing with her toys, so I think she will do OK. I was just rather alarmed she was spayed so young. I've heard about weedier and taller dogs as a result of an early spay, it will be interesting to see how Maddie grows and develops, thanks Rod. I'm taking tons of photos. Glad that you mentioned your Teddy taking a wee wee so often like that Lynne. Perhaps it is just due to her young age yet. I'll keep everyone posted, and for sure I'll update with photos.

I forgot to mention that, even though our male was neutered at 9 weeks, for his entire life he consistently lifted his leg on anything perpendicular outside, be it a tall weed or a lamppost or even a freshly delivered newspaper in a neighbor's driveway.

He lived to 14 years.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that, even though our male was neutered at 9 weeks, for his entire life he consistently lifted his leg on anything perpendicular outside, be it a tall weed or a lamppost or even a freshly delivered newspaper in a neighbor's driveway.

He lived to 14 years.

Hahaaaa :p

My sister-in-law's half-lab half beagle was spayed at 9 weeks and has had no problems with incontinence. She is now 9 years old. She is big like a lab, but has a beagle face. Maddie is just adorable with her cute little puppy face and paws. I know she won't take Bentley's place in your heart -she'll make her own place, and I bet it will be a big one just looking at her!!!

Thanks, very reassuring to hear all of this, whew!

Too funny Rod, and so nice to hear he lived to be 14, I am hoping my Maddie will live a long healthy life with me.

I still cannot get over the loss of Bentley, I can't even bear it yet... but, Maddie has me wrapped around her little paw already, and last night we played fetch (indoors) and she had me laughing so hard... it felt so good to laugh again.

I still cannot get over the loss of Bentley, I cant even bear it yet... but, Maddie has me wrapped around her little paw already, and last night we played fetch (indoors) and she had me laughing so hard... it felt so good to laugh again.

Puppies do have a way of soothing a broken heart and wiggling their way in to make their own place! Maggie is adorable and I'm sure she will bring you so much joy!

I think urinary incontinence tends to be an issue more in old age now and then in spayed females -- have not really heard of cases while still puppies. Maddie is very sweet. I think you have some good advice here -- it isn't an ideal situation but it is what happened and I'd not worry too much. There may be nothing at all as a result, or you might get a slightly taller dog... it might contribute to something later on but may not make any difference one way or another. Enjoy her! :)

For the sake of data (feel like maybe data should be in block capitals with some sort of bold underlining?) I thought I'd add this article I found: AngryVet Spaying and Neutering.

The argument presented is weighted towards not spaying/neutering. It is opinion based it seems but they have a couple of interesting points.

My only experience with early neutering in animals has been with cats and in spite of what vets told us, repeatedly, all three became rather rotund in spite of being on a low calorie diet and being very active, outdoorsy types. So, I guess either it was the spaying, OR we've just been unlucky and had cats who have some hidden medical issues or are just little fatties. My first cat lived to be eighteen and was spayed when she was about five, but after a couple of litters of kittens - I think, anyway, I was about five myself at the time!

Maddie is lovely, by the way :)

Back