• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo's MVD & scan results

meljoy

We've just got back from the vet. Leo had his heart scan and X-Rays today. There is both good and bad news.
The bad news is that as expected Leo has CHF. His Mitral valve is not doing what its supposed to do and as a result he has also developed extra strain on the heart muscle, which is now beginning to "stretch".
The vet has started him on Cardalis to add to the Vetmedin and Frusemide. I have to take him back in 2 weeks for a review and they have said they will most likely stop/decrease the Frusemide.

The good news is that there was improvement on the static x-ray and he has lost 1kg in weight since last week which I guess is mostly fluid. His lungs are also clearer.
I can start slowly increasing his exercise again, at the moment Im walking him no longer than 10minutes. Ive also started him on Omega 3 fish oil.

Again we had a very frank talk, my vet is very realistic and very honest :(
We just have to take one day at a time and manage his symptoms as they arise.
The other good news is that Leo is cheerful, happy and surprisingly energetic at the moment :)

So thats it.....thank you again for replying to my posts and as always any advice you can give is more appreciated than you'll ever know.

Mel x

Oh Mel that's scary. It sounds like you have done your best for Leo and will care for his needs very diligently as you always have. It's a worry for me too as our boys are half brothers. Please God they don't have this in common. (((Hugs)))

Hi Mel, Pippin is in exactly the same position as Leo at the moment and the Cardalis has made a difference for him, he is much brighter than he was, his heart is very enlarged and he does no more than 10-15 minutes of exercise if he wants to go out (he didn't today). He sleeps a lot but it is good sleep, before starting on the cardalis he was very restless.

I hope that Leo does well on the new medication. Pippin is also on Vetmedin, but not Frusimide.

I'm glad Leo's situation is now clearer (even if it wasn't what you really wanted to hear!) and you and your vet can work together to give him the best quality of life for as long as possible. One of the most important things to remember is that Leo doesn't know he is ill - just that some days he can do more than other days, but he isn't thinking 'Oh dear, I'm in congestive heart failure, poor me.' And as I've said before, Cavaliers have a great facility for enjoying the moment and getting the best out of life, however restricted that may be in our view. So just continue to enjoy and treasure every moment you have with him.

:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thank you Ladies,
Pauline I pray too that our "two brothers" dont have this horrible disease in common....just their dashing good looks:)

Kate thank you for your voice of reason...I am telling everyone what you have said....that he doesnt know he's ill and we carry on as normal...with a few minor adjustments here and there.
No one knows what the future holds and I could waste a lot of time fretting and fussing over him and while Im doing that I'll forget to enjoy him....it'll be time wasted.
Ive had a good cry and now its time to get on with it.....by that I mean enjoy the wonderful little dog that has become such a great little friend to me.....
My vet is very good and I trust them all in the practice which is a huge help...
Pippa give that boy of yours a gentle hug...Ive pm'd you...its good to share

Again Thank You

Mel xx

Again thank you

Mel when we started out with Jasper being in the same situation that Leo is in now the vet said not to wrap him up in cotton wool and he has enjoyed the last nearly four years enjoying his life, we know he has a problem and keep a very careful eye on him and I know that you will with Leo, as Kate has said they do not know they are ill, I must admit I have been very worried about him, the last time just a few weeks ago, put he bounced back the following day, these Cavaliers are little fighters.

I have never heard of Cardalis, does it help with a cough? Jasper had Vetmedin added about 6 weeks ago, the vet said there are other medications that can be used but never named them.

Hope the medication improves Leo, give him a hug from us. Mel I have just looked up Jasper`s paperwork for the Heart Scan etc and start of medication and it was October 2009, he would have been 9 and a half, so he has been on Fortekor - same dose and Frusemide (various doses) for all that time. I hope this really gives you some hope for Leo`s future.

Last edited:
Morning Pam,
Thank you so much,,,to hear that Jasper has done well for so long has helped enormously :)
I know they're all different but it has given me hope....

Cardalis is a combination drug of 2 drugs..1 is a potassium sparing diuretic the other a cardiac drug that blocks hormone that narrows arteries.....In Humans its called an ACE inhibitor if you google it there's some good info.....I'll let you know how he gets on.

We are treating him the same as you said. He's the same guy he's always been:)

Back