• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Recurring pancreatitis

harvwald

Our one-year-old was diagnosed with acute and chronic pancreatitis around Halloween. She had a hospital stay, intravenous fluids, etc. We brought her home and kept her on a strict prescription diet, with only fruits and vegetables for treats. Yesterday she went back to the vet's for a follow-up ultrasound. Surprisingly, her pancreas is still bad. The vet still thinks it is diet-related and that she might be eating things in our back yard, like nuts the squirrels bury. He believes she is very fat-sensitive. This is so hard to believe, since I can't imagine she is finding that much to eat in our yard. She also grabs food that falls on the floor, and we know she ate a cashew the night before her ultrasound. Just wondering if anyone else has had a dog with pancreatitis and has any helpful information to share. Thanks so much for any help.:-?

This is an awesome source of info: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/dogpancreatitis/ and the people are very helpful. Our boxer had an acute case of pancreatitis too, and now hasn't been tolerating anything but her low fat food and treats (btw, we feed her Wellness Grain Free Low Fat). It took a while for her to get over the initial case (we believe hers was originally brought on from her heartworm treatment), but it's been about a year now, and she is doing well. Having 2 dogs who are on restrictive diets is challenging- as in, getting to the food that hits the floor before them :p , instead of calling the dog to clean up the crumbs, but it will become a habit and it's good exercise, lol.

I don't really want to share my dog pancreatitis story (its a sad one) but I hope you figure out something soon. I personally hate RX foods vets insist on, if I knew now what I didn't when my dog was on it I would have switched to home prepared low fat diet instead. My vet insisted my dog was getting "other" foods, and that is why he wasn't completely recovering. I know for a fact my old dog was NOT eating anything but HIS food. Bless his heart the dog was so lazy/slow moving he never got to anything that hit for floor. Pancreatits sucks and I really hope your little one started to completely recover.

Back