Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New puppy and signs of SM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also: have you checked for rabbit mites (a skin scrape)? I know of several instances i which puppies that were scratching frantically actually had these, not fleas. They often congregate towards the tail. One of my puppies came from the breeder with them. Vets can be surprisingly unfamiliar with them. Ear mites are the other thing to check for.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2111&aid=725

As with fleas, the environment must also be treated -- bedding put through a boil wash etc.

Given the screening done by your breeder I agree with Flo and Sins that it would be very unlikely that you are seeing SM at such a young age. (But as you also recognise, it always remains a possibility over the lifetime of a cavalier. Making a careful choice of breeder as you have done is the best possible, responsible approach. )

I am sure this will be a matter of environment/pests and not SM.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies and help. After "normal" vet said that she's fine and doesn't need any treatment, I took her today to see a dermatologist. Some mycosis in her ears and possibly parasites as well. He said that he couldn't see any, but since she had frontline he may not be able to see anything. He suggested an ear medicine and stronghold 3x every 14 days. Also for the cats.
    She got her vaccination and she is a drama queen!!!!! She was screaming so badly!!! Also when he touched her behind. So we will see now. He said that after seeing her reaction to the shot, she may be screaming just when a flea bites her.
    She's sleeping now and nobody can't touch her! She screams right away!
    I'm little nervous to use the stronghold, but will probably do it after three days and see what I'll see. What is your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it depends on when she had the frontline last? If it's been two weeks or so you should be fine. When she's happy to be touched maybe comb her with a flea comb every day as backup control. We once had some super fleas on one of the cats that just wouldn't die, ended up having to go full manual treatment with hoovering, combing and drowning (of the fleas, not the cat).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no!!! My vet told me the same thing last week. That it could be the food. He also doesn't like the fact that she is young and eating raw meat (he's orthopedist mainly)…but I bought meat for a year since I shipped it directly from Holland in order not to change the diet.
    I was thinking that it could be as well because of the wash detergent. I was so hoping that the dermatologist will give me answers. Agree with my vet that I'm just seeing things or finds a flea or mites, anything.

The thing is, she does have white stuff in her skin. Vet said:"do nothing" and dermatologist suggest stronghold. Go figure! I'm completely lost!
    Last edited by marcela; 9th January 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Threed View Post
    , ended up having to go full manual treatment with hoovering, combing and drowning (of the fleas, not the cat).
    Sorry but that really made me laugh...

I do hope you find some answers

XX
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

That was funny!!!

How come that one reply that was here last night is missing?

Post Thanks / Like

My two got fleas last spring - Aled especially badly. They had been on Frontline for several years but it was absolutely useless - I was still combing out half a dozen fleas every day (groin is a good place to look, it's nice and warm). Changed to Advantage and hey presto, no fleas. They literally disappeared overnight and have never been back.

Kate Oliver and Aled