• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I have puppy fever!

MomObvious

Fletcher will be 2 in Feb. and as we all know cavaliers are collectible. I am really really thinking about starting my search for a puppy. I been slowly coming up with a few breeders I want to learn more about but I know I have to get myself out of the puppy fever and into proper cavaleir buying mode. I have been trying to find a rescue but man its hard and I do think some of the reason I have been having a hard time on that front is Mr. Monster. He is 6 now and not all small kids are brats or untrained dog owners but I do think that is a stereotype that is working against me. I am asking all the important questions to myself and my husband (who would gladly welcome 1 or 3 cavalier into our home- whatever you want Honey, just be wise about health) Can I afford a second insurance policy, uncovered vet care? Food, another crate, grooming another cavalier, cleaning up the lovely dog hair, training another puppy (it was work), how would another pup effect Fletcher or Mr,. Monster? I know I have the time and love for another cavalier. After I soul search and honestly answer those questions then there is the major task of finding the "right" breeder. Believe me I do not need the lecture, I know I know and I will not buy from anyone skipping any corners. Then actually finding the puppy for us. Ahhhhhhhhh its a lot but I still am finding myself ready to do it.

Hummmmm...anybody else feeling puppy fever????

I've always go puppy fever but having recently seen my friends new cav puppy and how well Jazz played with him, i realised just how much she would enjoy a brother or sister too.

When we first had Jazz, I was recovering from an illness and was at home to train her for the first few weeks. As my fiancé and I both work, we rely on doggie day care 4 days a week (which Jazz thrives on by the way). But like you Melissa, this would probably work against me if I spoke to a breeder about a puppy. Plus of course there would be the costs - it's not cheap having jazz looked after but I am lucky enough to have 2 exceptionally good ladies who live locally, who love Jazz like their own, and she spends her day with them, and their dogs, and most importantly, in their home - I was absolutely resolute that she would not be left in some draughty kennel or someone's garden. It's worth every penny for a happy and content dog but multiplied by 2 it's gets very expensive!!!

then of course there's insurance and general health. So far, Jazz has been a healthy cav but I know this could change at any time - she's only 2 so we are still in early days. I watch her like a hawk, for any signs, but mercifully none yet. She came from bad breeder (I was naive back then), so heaven knows what's round the corner.

but puppies are so adorable!!! The cute bark and playfulness and how they'll run around like crazy and then collapse on your lap in a deep sleep in an instant! I do look at rescue too. But again, as I'm not home it seems unfair the rescue and then expect someone else to look after the dog, with all it's "issues" when I'm at work.

There's so much responsibility!!! So for now, we're sticking with one but I suspect we'll have 2 before long - my fiancé tells me he'll happily become a house-husband and look after the dogs!!!

Anytime I look at my girl's (black & tan) puppy pictures I get puppy fever. My wife and I are retired and I keep telling her one more means we can each have a puppy on our lap. "She who must be obeyed" has yet to give into my pleadings. Our city has a limit on three dogs - I'd love to have more cavvies - but I love my wife so I remain in awe of you folks with several of these darlings! Just by reading your posts I'd bet the ranch you'll be getting another!

Back