Thread: Cavalier age

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cavalier age

Morning all, I have a weird question, can a reputable breeder list wrong the date that the puppy/puppies were born on? Thanks.

Sent form my Samsung Doubletime using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, if a breeder can not list the correct date of when the puppies were born, the breeder does not appear to be reputable. If it happens to be a typo, after it is brought to their attention it should be corrected and if not...not a reputable breeder.
    Sir Remington II (Remy) Oct. 17, 2012 -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do know that on some occasions UK breeders will adjust the date of birth. This is done if the breeder is keeping a puppy to show and the litter was born too late to qualify for entry to a favourite show or under a favourite judge. Registering the puppies as a week or so older than they really are can sort that problem.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both.

Post Thanks / Like

Registering puppies to favour a show schedule is something that never occurred to me.
    When I used to show my dogs, not Cavs, one puppy I showed against looked very mature compared to the others so maybe .......... One never knows.

Post Thanks / Like

One other question, can you do bone age testing to find the age of a dog(or any animal), that is, if you don't know or it was miscalculated? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not that I know. Never heard of it. You can get a good guess by what teeth are coming through, in a younger dog.

I think Margaret was not approving of changing the dates for show registrations, but noting this rather drily...

Without DNA identification buyers actually have no way to prove that a dog was from a given set of parents or a given litter. It can be impossible to be sure of the date the pups were actually born, if a breeder wants to lie. One of my cavaliers (from US breeder Laura lang) was DNA identified on her papers, which Laura does routinely. Also, my pyrenean's breeder DNA ID's all the litter something I think hardly any Irish breeders of any breed, do.

There are stories of puppies being sold as from a given parent when they are not, as well.

It's good practice to get to know your breeder and to know their reputation, see paperwork etc.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

8. Likes Margaret C liked this post