• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

flinching

Emcannon

It's 6 months today that I got my sweet Summer from Cavalier Rescue USA! She is such a blessing and I cherish every day I have with her! We go to the vet next Wednesday for a check up appointment but in the meantime I've noticed in the last few days that she flinches when I go to put her leash on or pet her ears/head. She has had problems with her ears in the past and like most other places we are experiencing extremely cold weather so maybe she is sensitive to that. Just with what I've read about CM/SM and changes with bariatric pressure and just stuff with their little necks it made me concerned. Any words of wisdom?

It's 6 months today that I got my sweet Summer from Cavalier Rescue USA! She is such a blessing and I cherish every day I have with her! We go to the vet next Wednesday for a check up appointment but in the meantime I've noticed in the last few days that she flinches when I go to put her leash on or pet her ears/head. She has had problems with her ears in the past and like most other places we are experiencing extremely cold weather so maybe she is sensitive to that. Just with what I've read about CM/SM and changes with bariatric pressure and just stuff with their little necks it made me concerned. Any words of wisdom?

Bosco, age 2 and healthy, has always flinched when someone tries to pet him by approaching over the head. I always tell people to scratch under his neck, as I dont think he likes the over-the-head approach. I dont' think it means much, other than a personal quirk --- and I hope I'm right about that! He has always been a fuss pot about his ears. YOu can play with them for only so long, and they he will get up an move away (can't blame him).

Joan

Congratulations on your lovely dog.
I would also advise using a harness and not a collar for the lead....they're necks are so delicate...educate yourself as much as you can on CM/SM and if you're concerned mention it to your vet.

Mel x,

Bosco, age 2 and healthy, has always flinched when someone tries to pet him by approaching over the head. I always tell people to scratch under his neck, as I dont think he likes the over-the-head approach. I dont' think it means much, other than a personal quirk --- and I hope I'm right about that! He has always been a fuss pot about his ears. YOu can play with them for only so long, and they he will get up an move away (can't blame him).

Joan

I think it's more than a personal quirk -- pretty sure it's been proven that some dogs feel threatened when another animal/human tries to go "over" their heads (to pet them or otherwise), especially if they believe themselves to be equal or superior. It's one of those alpha domination rules of the animal kingdom where the animal allowing another to go over it is basically yielding its position in the hierarchy to the latter. Along the same lines of when two dogs roughhouse and the submitting one ends up on its back first.

We often bring Skippy to the outdoor malls here in LA, and inevitably he'll get greeted by a toddler and his/her parent. Even though Skippy wouldn't hurt a fly, only once have I been impressed with a dad who advised his daughter to reach for Skippy under his snout, and not straight for the top of his head.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I always use a harness on Summer when we go for walks, when we are just stepping out the door to potty real quick I don't always put it on. I should have mentioned that this is a new behavior not something she has been doing all along.

If its new behavior, she may have an ear infection or possibly something in her her that's irritating her. Possibly a hair, or something she picked up outside. Since it's something new, you may want to have the vet take a look.

As Joyce said, an ear infection or similar could be the problem. How old is she? Has she had any recent experiences that may have influenced her behaviour, like her hair getting clipped in her collar?

If you're off to the vet anyway then of course it's worth mentioning. I'm curious, although she initially flinches, what happens when you actually put on the collar or pet her? Does she seem uncomfortable then?

I think it's more than a personal quirk -- pretty sure it's been proven that some dogs feel threatened when another animal/human tries to go "over" their heads (to pet them or otherwise), especially if they believe themselves to be equal or superior. It's one of those alpha domination rules of the animal kingdom where the animal allowing another to go over it is basically yielding its position in the hierarchy to the latter. Along the same lines of when two dogs roughhouse and the submitting one ends up on its back first.
Thanks for the input on that. He will allow me to go over his head to pet him, but not others. He definitely flinches when others do it, and he is a bit of fraidy cat, so he probably does feel threatened. I will be doubly sure to advise other to go the "under-the-neck" route now.

Joan

Back