• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help!

Kschron

I am new to this forum, and don't own a King Charles Cavalier. But my mom does and we really need some help.

My mom's dog, Maddie, is the sweetest Cavalier ever! She is a certified therapy dog and just loves every dog she meets. That is, until I brought my new Golden Retriever puppy over to visit. She barks and growls at him every time he gets close to her! We stayed over the holidays and thought that it would get better, but it seems to be getting worse:(

i don't live with my mom, but we like to visit a few times a week. I am puzzled on how to make this work?! Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if Maddie has something like an ear infection, something painful, so that she is worried that if your puppy is boisterous she will get hurt? So her growl is warning him off. You could get the vet to check her over and in the meantime keep your puppy away from her, or on lead when they are together, so that Maddie knows she can escape if necessary. If you've got a crate it might help to give Maddie somewhere to retreat to that the puppy would be too big to follow her into!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Sometimes, adult dogs are not fond of puppies.

Also, "love at first sight" does not always happen immediately. I introduced a CKC pup to my 4 year old Japanese Chins, and it took easily a month of supervision to get the Chins to accept the pup. Japanese Chin are really laid back dogs, and I never anticipated a problem. It all worked out in the end, and they are all good friends now.

I'm sure it will work out with time and patience. If this is going to be an ongoing visiting situation, I think your Mom will have to take a stance with Maddie that this is her house and your pup is welcome there.

Good luck!

Joan

Back