Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regressed in Our Potty Training

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Hi Shelley: Welcome! You've had lots of good advice. I'd just add: an 8 month old is many months beyond the point where he should ever need to go at night during your sleeping time --regardless of whether he drinks water -- unless he is actually ill. I think the case is more that you have trained a habit. He knows that he can wake up, paw the crate, and get attention right away -- an excursion out with you. Very few dogs need to be let out in the middle of the night beyond 12 weeks old.

So two things -- it might be worth having him checked for a urinary tract infection, which could be contributing to the problem. If he has a UTI, it can progress to a kidney infection so it is worth just getting the all-clear (hopefully) on that. Then, I'd go cold turkey on NOT letting him out at night. Ignore the pawing at the crate. Get earplugs if you need to. Or move the crate somewhere else so you won't hear him. The daytime issue is definitely one of too much freedom too soon (generally most dogs are not fully reliable until age 1 and even then they can sometimes have accidents, usually when we don't read their signal to go out or were left too long inside. BTW almost none of my dogs clearly indicates when they want to go out! We just give them all regular toilet breaks outside -- every few hours. But they can hold themselves for longer than that if necessary).

You will need to start from the beginning but the good news is that because he already has the basics, he should relearn quickly. Do not let him have the run of the house. Not generally wise anyway -- dogs can get into many things that could be dangerous or which they can damage when out of sight. Keep him always within view during housetraining -- early on, he should always be at arm's reach distance. He needs to be moved rapidly towards longer periods than being let out every hour --that's only training him to hold himself for an hour.
    Great advice. I'll start ignoring him tonight. I think I will need to put earplugs in though, he can get a little loud with that banging, little stinker. I'll have him checked out at the Vet. I think it's more of me getting up taking him out thinking that he needs to potty. The other night it was 3:00 in the morning and we went out and then he just starts snooping around... crazy me. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    PS If you register at Dog Star Daily website you can access this excellent housetraining guide: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...-housetraining
    Thanks, will do.

This is a great Forum!!!