• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Treats or Toys in Their Crate

CharlieTriBoy

Hello,

Do any of you put toys in your dogs crate when you are away? I have not and was just wondering. Charlie is my 8-month old Tri-colored cavalier and if we are going to be away for a little while I'll put him in his crate maybe give him a couple dog treats that he eats right away but have never given him a rawhide or chew things while we are gone. What do you think?

Thanks.
Shelley

It's never wise to leave MOST toys or chews alone with a dog and especially not rawhides as dogs have been known to choke on them when the pieces get small enough to swallow. One idea that would be generally safe would be a Kong, maybe with some peanut butter smeared on the inside or a safe stuffing. The kong needs to be the right chew level (red for normal chewers, black for hard chewers).

Crates are OK for short periods but not more than a couple of hours in daytime. A better arrangement is an xpen of the appropriate height with the crate inside and door open (not where the dog can climb on top and get over the xpen though). :D Good idea to always remove collars on crated dogs or dogs in xpens to remove the risk of the collar catching on the crate and choking the dog. (y)

I give BellaMia a good girl treat when she goes into her kennel and make sure she's eaten it before I actually leave the house. I do not give her any toys either. I'm paranoid about choking.. Usually she will just sleep or look out the window. I'm mostly home all day but when I have appointments or errands, I'm never gone for more that 2-3 hours. By the way, I did try giving her a Kong, but she never really took to it, but is it a good alternative.

It's never wise to leave MOST toys or chews alone with a dog and especially not rawhides as dogs have been known to choke on them when the pieces get small enough to swallow. One idea that would be generally safe would be a Kong, maybe with some peanut butter smeared on the inside or a safe stuffing. The kong needs to be the right chew level (red for normal chewers, black for hard chewers).

Crates are OK for short periods but not more than a couple of hours in daytime. A better arrangement is an xpen of the appropriate height with the crate inside and door open (not where the dog can climb on top and get over the xpen though). :D Good idea to always remove collars on crated dogs or dogs in xpens to remove the risk of the collar catching on the crate and choking the dog. (y)

I'm home all day with my dog and if I have to leave I only leave him in his crate for a couple of hours, but that's a good idea, an xpen if I have to be gone a little longer. I have his crate in the kitchen during the day with the door open in case he wants to go in and take a nap. But how does the xpen work if my dog Charlie is not completely housetrained. He's 8-months old. I wonder if he'd pee or poop on the floor? Of course I'd make sure he went out beforehand but at least he would have a little more room/freedom.

I'm home all day with my dog and if I have to leave I only leave him in his crate for a couple of hours, but that's a good idea, an xpen if I have to be gone a little longer. I have his crate in the kitchen during the day with the door open in case he wants to go in and take a nap. But how does the xpen work if my dog Charlie is not completely housetrained. He's 8-months old. I wonder if he'd pee or poop on the floor? Of course I'd make sure he went out beforehand but at least he would have a little more room/freedom.

This was the best picture I could find to illustrate our boy Skippy's crate+xpen+litter box set up about 4 years ago when we were living in an apartment.

Like Karlin suggested, we would keep Skippy in the closed xpen (with access to his crate and litter box) whenever we had to leave him alone for longer periods. If you're using pottypads or newspapers, I presume you would substitute the litter box with them. Until he was 100% potty trained, we did occasionally come home to accidents, though they were usually of the #2 nature rather than the #1 kind. I suppose what helped in terms of cleaning was that our apartment floor was tiled, rather than carpeted.

Maggie gets to hang out with grandpa during the day. shes a very lucky girl.
but first thing in the morning..when i drop her off..she gets put in her crate. in her crate she has a bed...and lots of toys.

http://maggies-world815.tumblr.com/...-drops-me-off-at-grandpas-daycare-i-make-sure this is an older picture. theres no longer a kennel in there. shes in there from about 7-10:30. she gets her breakfast. and id betcha a milllion bucks she just sleeps the whole time after that.

when i go out...i have a pertty small apartment (and shes now over a year old) i give her free range of the living room/bathroom/hall area. i do a once over and insure theres nothign she can get into...and honestly she dosnt. shes such a good pup. she just curls up in her bed till i get home.

This was the best picture I could find to illustrate our boy Skippy's crate+xpen+litter box set up about 4 years ago when we were living in an apartment.

Like Karlin suggested, we would keep Skippy in the closed xpen (with access to his crate and litter box) whenever we had to leave him alone for longer periods. If you're using pottypads or newspapers, I presume you would substitute the litter box with them. Until he was 100% potty trained, we did occasionally come home to accidents, though they were usually of the #2 nature rather than the #1 kind. I suppose what helped in terms of cleaning was that our apartment floor was tiled, rather than carpeted.

How Sweet! What a little doll.

Great idea. I'd set it up in the kitchen where his crate is during the day and the floor is tiled.

Thanks so much. I'm going to look for one this week.

Back