• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

K-9 Cushing's Disease

scrile

I'd like to make everyone aware and tell a sad story of nasty, sneaky disease that can occur in any dog called K-9 Cushing's Disease. Our first Cavalier, Charley, passed away in June/2012 from K-9 Cushing's disease. He wasn't even 5 years old. We were devastated. The vet that we had been taking Charley to since he was a puppy never did diagnose it. When we became concerned that Charley seemed no longer able jump up like he had previously, the vet examined his knees and said his knees were the problem and for $600 he could fix the problem...so we got a second opinion on that from a second vet who said nothing was wrong with his knees, but also did not diagnose the problem....so after a few weeks we went to a third vet, who after hearing our story, and telling us that nothing was wrong with Charley's knees, recommended a full spectrum blood test....the results indicating possible cushing's disease. Another more specific test was then done for the type of cushing's that Charley had, indicated it was a gland in his brain that was causing the problem. The only treatment being a risky medication, which we planned to do, but sadly, Charley passed away the night before we planned to notify the vet to order the medication...like I said, we were devastated.

So I want everyone to know just how sneaky this terrible disease is. All the symptoms seem so benign when seen one at a time. I had been Googling some of the symptoms, like a slightly bloated tummy, excessive appetite...never once had I gotten any hits indicating cushing's. In fact, I had never even heard of it in dogs until the vet told us what she suspected.

So our plan for Abby is...once a year she will get a broad spectrum blood test, not just the test for heart worm...

I have posted below a good web site for more detailed information about K-9 Cushing's Disease and a photo collage of Charley, my little buddy, forever in my heart...

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

charleytheme1_zps1e02301b.jpg

I've had to deal with Cushings and Diabetes both in the same rescue dog that came in, if anyone has a dog that suffers from either of these conditions, no matter what the breed, I urge you not to vaccinate them, their immune system is already challenged as it is without adding the risk of further complications brought on by vaccines.

Agree completely. Our puppy is having an excessive urination issue and if eliminating the struvite crystals in his urine doesn't solve the problem I told the vet that I want him worked up for Cushings.

It is an awful disease. I know all too well. My former husband died suddenly two years ago due to heart failure brought on by undiagnosed Cushings. :-(

Back